Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My build is near complete and now I am looking to change the front derailleur to the Sram XX,

Its a 34.9 clamp low mount actual weight of that der. was posted here as 116.4 grams throw in some aluminum bolts and I am sure it could be near 112 or so.

I am currently using the M970 at 129 grams

I recently went for the 7900 dura ace front with the speen adapter. Did not like that hand torque was too much and it shredded the little nub that the adapter is used to support against clean off the der. So that lasted all of five minutes in my garage.

So whats left is the Sram XX, word around the camp fire is that it shifts like nothing else.

I did not see any ground breaking design on the SRAM unit that would indicate anything incredible hence why I am asking.

This is going on my litespeed which has a Middleburn duo 42/29 combination.

So if you got it let us know what you think of it thus far. Any perceivable advantages on this der? The XTR works fine but want something a little lighter.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
pernfilman said:
Its a 34.9 clamp low mount actual weight of that der. was posted here as 116.4 grams throw in some aluminum bolts and I am sure it could be near 112 or so.
Can't comment on the performance of the XX, but I've heard negative comments made about the X9. Might be better, though.

FWIW, my XTR weighed 125g untuned, and the performance is great on the same crankset (w/ 27/40T hardcoat rings). I'm not sure the added expense it worth a weight savings of 8.6g.

For my weight spreadsheet: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=572836

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
On second thought, give the XX a try (I think the price is cheaper than XTR.) If you like it, I'll get one for my hardtail and move the XTR to my FS! :thumbsup:

(I apologize for not having anything constructive to add.)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
The shifting speed on the SRAM XX FR is scorching, mean that. Am certain not many weight weenies will have tried a HS system, it is real fast, well the XX Front Der is near as quick... I rate it big time....

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
quax said:
Is this really true? You may become my saviour! This is the solution for my Scale since the XX FD comes in 38.2 mm.I read somewhere that you need the XX triggers, even for the FD.
The pull ratio is different between XO triggers and XX triggers. If you wished to run triggers then you would need to go XX. If you use gripshift then it matters little, as all you do on any 2x9 is twist until it shifts up or down.

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bholwell said:
On second thought, give the XX a try (I think the price is cheaper than XTR.) If you like it, I'll get one for my hardtail and move the XTR to my FS! :thumbsup:

(I apologize for not having anything constructive to add.)
Let you know how it works, looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sounds dumb, but what makes it faster and better? Front derailleurs seem like a really simple device and I don't understand how this one could be that much better. My intentions are to run a Force front derailleur with my XX cranks, but this thread has me scratching my head. The Force is lighter, but is the XX really better?

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
88 rex said:
Sounds dumb, but what makes it faster and better? Front derailleurs seem like a really simple device and I don't understand how this one could be that much better. My intentions are to run a Force front derailleur with my XX cranks, but this thread has me scratching my head. The Force is lighter, but is the XX really better?
I agree with you, but I think that the combo of the XX cranks (chainrings) with the extra pickups etc is what makes it so fast... I think pemfilman is going for weight.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Whafe said:
I agree with you, but I think that the combo of the XX cranks (chainrings) with the extra pickups etc is what makes it so fast... I think pemfilman is going for weight.
Bingo!
The pickup points on the rings in conjunction with the stiff steel cage make up for the fast shift. I've yet to try this front dérailleur with anything other than the OctaRamp rings (and gripshifter) so there may be a difference in performance with different chain-rings.​

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.