Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put a sram xx crank into my 2010 s-works HT.Thinking the gxp version might work,just need some kind od adaptor to reduce it to shimano size spindel.Anyone done this.The other option is the specialized crank but they are like hens teeth and i want to go 10 speed.HELP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey fellow bikers,

Specialized is aware that customers would like to install Sram, or Truvativ Cranks on our oversized bottom bracket frames. However, at this time Sram and Truvativ cranks our not compatible with Specialized’s oversized bottom bracket frames. Specialized and Sram understand this problem and that’s why Sram makes a 10 speed spider, and chain rings for our carbon sworks cranks. Most local dealers are willing to order the S-works cranks, Truvativ spiders and chain rings at a reasonable cost, so customer can make this upgrade to their bike.

I would suggest exploring what your local dealer is willing to do, and see if you can come to an agreement. Hope this helps you guys out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Too bad there are no S-works cranks available. Also, the Press Fit GXP adapter will work... I've seen one installed on a bike with no problems. Still, counter productive to run an adapter when there is a BB30 version around. I have an S-works HT 2010 and I knew about the crank limitations when I purchased it, but I can't believe that Specialized put these out with no mean of running regular BB30 cranks on them. At a time when the industry is settling on a standard, Spec goes and makes something just different enough to be a PITA to make work.

·
Registered
626 Posts
And most S dealers will not know about the sram spider. A call to their third party vendor usually results in chaos (in my case).. Sram spider and chain rings for s-works or lightning carbon cranks # cr2379 28T-42T. Quality had them as of Friday

hope that helps

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with my fellow riders here,the specialized crank is not a solution because YOU CAN'T GET THEM.Believe me iv'e tried.Truvative spiders and rings are easy to find but the cranks are not.So how do i upgrade to 10 speed then?

·
Registered
54 Posts
XX Chainrings/Spider

diver160651 said:
And most S dealers will not know about the sram spider. A call to their third party vendor usually results in chaos (in my case).. Sram spider and chain rings for s-works or lightning carbon cranks # cr2379 28T-42T. Quality had them as of Friday

hope that helps
The SRAM XX/Truvativ spider and chainrings for the S-Works MTB Cranks are availible from Truvativ now. You can go to your local bike shop (Trail Head Cyclery) and place your order for them. They are availible from QBP and from BTI now. The last I checked BTI was still out of stock on them, however QBP has them but they are going FAST! Dont forget to order your S-Works MTb Crankarms for them thought..

·
Registered
626 Posts
chillie said:
I agree with my fellow riders here,the specialized crank is not a solution because YOU CAN'T GET THEM.Believe me iv'e tried.Truvative spiders and rings are easy to find but the cranks are not.So how do i upgrade to 10 speed then?
Lightning cranks should work -- they are crazy LIGHT

·
Registered
2 Posts
briscoelab said:
Too bad there are no S-works cranks available. Also, the Press Fit GXP adapter will work... I've seen one installed on a bike with no problems.
We at Specialized understand that customers would love to run Sram and Truvativ crank on one of our oversized bottom bracket frames. However, our oversized bottom bracket frames use a shell that is wider than your typical BB30 systems which are out in the market today. Because of this reason, BB30 cranks and step down bearing systems like Sram GXP system will not work with our frames. The only current systems that will work with Sram 10 Speed are their 10 speed spider, and chain rings with our carbon S-works cranks. I know it has been hard at times to get a hold of these cranks; however, the best way to get this product sooner is to place a back order with your local dealer. If any fellow riders have any more question regarding mtn 10 speed drive trains, please feel free to contact us here at specialized, or contact Sram regarding 10 spd compatibility.

FYI: Hear is list of bottom bracket and cranks that are compatible with our oversized frames; however, I would keep in mind we are always pushing the industry forward, and this list might be up dated as new products see the light of day.

10 spd: S-works crank, truvativ spider and 10spd chain rings.

9 spd: any Shimano 2-Piece Front Cranksets and BB91

9 spd: any Race face 2-Piece Cranksets and BB91

·
Registered
54 Posts
S-Works MTB Crankarms

diver160651 said:
Lightning cranks should work -- they are crazy LIGHT
Just wanted to see if you might be interested in buying my extra S-Works Mtb crankarms off of me? They are new and are 170mm. I also have the S-Works double spider/chainrings if you are interested. Just send me your personal email so I can get in touch with you. I live in San Jose, CA. They are in excellent condition and if you wanted you can meet me to check them out. Discuss price on your email or when we talk in person or on the phone. Saw you over at Trail Head Cyclery that one day and you gave me the CD of the riding at Water Dog. FYI..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cranks?

Ghetto575 said:
If anyone is looking to get rid of their OS S-Works triple cranks set let me know, I'm in the market for a set to put on my 2010 Stumpy Expert 29er.
Are you near the San Jose,CA area? I have a set of 170 sw cranksarms and a triple spider/chainrings that came off of my EPIC.. The crankarms are in excellent shape and the chainrings have been used. Justa wondering....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why can you not run 10-speed on the rear derailleur with any 9-speed dual chain ring crankset up front? The 10-speed chain will fit both because the inner width of the chain is the same anyway (11/128"). What is so special about this 10-speed chain rings and spiders? What have I missed? I think I even seen a standard (9-speed) triple XTR crankset matching the SRAM 10-speed rear cassette and derailleur.

·
Registered
153 Posts
just ordered HT sworks and looking for cranks.
sworks crankarms look to go for $250 and the Truvativ spider (have it on stumpy) is $175. so comes to $425 all in..... am i missing anything?
what i really want to do is try 1x9/10, anybody got any ideas on that for BB91?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
briscoelab said:
You aren't missing anything. You can run most any 9 speed rings and it will be fine.
This is good news.I'm running a XTR crank 28/42 at the moment so you are telling me i can keep that and only have to change the rear to10sp.What FD should i use if i go 10sp(using a modified campag record at the moment)

·
Registered
351 Posts
08S-Works_Guy said:
Just wanted to see if you might be interested in buying my extra S-Works Mtb crankarms off of me? They are new and are 170mm. I also have the S-Works double spider/chainrings if you are interested. Just send me your personal email so I can get in touch with you. I live in San Jose, CA. They are in excellent condition and if you wanted you can meet me to check them out. Discuss price on your email or when we talk in person or on the phone. Saw you over at Trail Head Cyclery that one day and you gave me the CD of the riding at Water Dog. FYI..
08S-Works_Guy,
Do you still have the S-Works double spider and chainrings for sale? I'm interested.

Matt
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 169 Posts