Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this forum from a friend. I was out riding and the rear derrailer hanger bolt's head just dissapeared. The bolt also was cracked right down the middle. According to my bike shop the bolt is backordered for months. Does anyone know where I can get one or maybe someone has one laying around from a broken derrailer. I can't imagine many bolt heads just fall off. It is the 2008 model SRAM XO rear derrailern and I need the bolt that holds it onto the dropout. I've never had a bolt break, especially since the dropout or the derrailer itself have no damage. I guess I just got a poorly made bolt, but it still sucks since the bike is only a couple months old. Hope someone can point me in a good direction.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Adam132601 said:
I just found this forum from a friend. I was out riding and the rear derrailer hanger bolt's head just dissapeared. The bolt also was cracked right down the middle. According to my bike shop the bolt is backordered for months. Does anyone know where I can get one or maybe someone has one laying around from a broken derrailer. I can't imagine many bolt heads just fall off. It is the 2008 model SRAM XO rear derrailern and I need the bolt that holds it onto the dropout. I've never had a bolt break, especially since the dropout or the derrailer itself have no damage. I guess I just got a poorly made bolt, but it still sucks since the bike is only a couple months old. Hope someone can point me in a good direction.

Thanks,

Adam
Start here :

http://www.sram.com/en/

WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
SRAM Corporation
1333 N. Kingsbury, 4th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60622
Phone: +1-312-664-8800
Fax: +1-312-664-8826

In an old post in the SRAM forum, I think, someone still had a SRAM email addy that isn't listed on their site anymore. According to SRAM this is due to SRAM wanting you deal w/your LBS to resolve any issue like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! SRAM themselves is who was telling me and the shop they were out of the parts and it wold be a long time.

The shop called them again and explained what happened, and SRAM is sending a bolt out now. Apparently you just have to push a little but their customer service ended up being as good as their derrailer.

Has anyone else even heard of the bolt head breaking off a derrailer hanger bolt? I was shocked, it isn't like that is a likely failure point.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Adam132601 said:
Thanks! SRAM themselves is who was telling me and the shop they were out of the parts and it wold be a long time.

The shop called them again and explained what happened, and SRAM is sending a bolt out now. Apparently you just have to push a little but their customer service ended up being as good as their derrailer.

Has anyone else even heard of the bolt head breaking off a derrailer hanger bolt? I was shocked, it isn't like that is a likely failure point.
Sounds typical of the CS since SRAM has gotten soooo big as of the last coupl'a yrs. Still turn out th' best drive train IMO. I think you ended up w/a bolt that "slipped" through QC, no way it should'a broke as you've described. I have seen the bolt and the entire derailluer ripped out of the hanger, but never seen a bolt break off. But then, I've only got 7-8 yrs of serious riding under my belt.

·
Registered
Pivot Trail 429 & Switchblade
539 Posts
Does anyone know if the frame hanger bolt is held in place by a snap ring? I shipped a bike via UPS and the receiver said it was missing. I know it was there when it was shipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.