Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to install a SRAM X9 short cage on my bike with a 9 speed SRAM cassette and SRAM X9 shifter (I'm only using the middle chainring up front). I've adjusted the high and low limit screws and I think I've done that correctly. When I attach the cable I cannot get it to shift into the 2 lowest gears, even though I've counted 9 clicks of the shifter and felt the cable moving smoothly in the lining/guides. I've also tried a bunch of different cable tensions and nothing seems to get the derailleur into those low 2 gears

My question is:

Could it be that the chain is improperly sized? I installed this with the derailleur and eyeballed it, so this is a possibility. Below are pictures of the chain tension in the lowest and highest gear.

Derailleurs have always defeated me, so any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Go to the Park Tool website. You should be able to navigate to the tech docs or similar, showing a step-by-step guide foe RD adjustment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, your good if using single ring up front, just get the chain length correct for that ring. And you really must learn to adjust your RD if your gonna ride much. Youtube should have video. With the chain on your big cog if your still able to move the rd forward, ie still have some travel left your likely ok. Most likely you have the cable too loose (if by low you mean the big cogs), limit screw too tight.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Assuming it's the large cogs you can't shift to. Shift all the way down to the small cogs so the shifter won't click any more - you might have to pull on the cable to get it to shift. If you shift one click to a larger cog, does the derailleur shift one cog? If not, you need to add more tension to the cable.
I usually shift to about the third smallest cog. Then, without moving the crank or derailleur, click the shifter back down so the cable is loose. Take all the slack out of the cable. Then try the shifting. This will usually put the adjustment in the ball park and can be fine tuned from there.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You seem to have set too much B tension - that is that little screw near the hanger. To correct it shift to the biggest cassette cog and turn the screw as to get about 6-8mm of space between the upper pulley and the big cog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You seem to have set too much B tension - that is that little screw near the hanger. To correct it shift to the biggest cassette cog and turn the screw as to get about 6-8mm of space between the upper pulley and the big cog.
Awesome, I'll give this a shot tonight, thanks! I've read/watched so many tutorials and I think I understand the concept but putting it into practice has proven more difficult than I thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Assuming it's the large cogs you can't shift to. Shift all the way down to the small cogs so the shifter won't click any more - you might have to pull on the cable to get it to shift. If you shift one click to a larger cog, does the derailleur shift one cog? If not, you need to add more tension to the cable.
I usually shift to about the third smallest cog. Then, without moving the crank or derailleur, click the shifter back down so the cable is loose. Take all the slack out of the cable. Then try the shifting. This will usually put the adjustment in the ball park and can be fine tuned from there.
Also good advice. I've had some tensions where the derailleur is moving one gear per click of the shifter but never made it to fine-tuning because it wasn't reaching all of the gears. Once I check the H-screw setting I'll try this method. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You can alleviate problems like this by riding a single speed😁. Never had a derailer issue on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
from the top picture, the B screw looks about right.. though still suggest checking..
chain looks about right...

looks like you just need to learn a bit about setup and adjusting you derailleur. All advise above is good... probably easiest and least confusing to just go to the Park tools site, read how to set up and start from scratch. Like Stash said.. click all the way to the lowest gear and disconnect the cable and adjust everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts