Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with my new Sram X9 type 2 derailleur (medium cage), had my first ride with it last night and the clutch seems to get stuck and causes the chain to go loose and fall off the chain ring. If I push on the arm it springs back and the chain re-tensions and all is well again.

It did this about 3-4x but was intermittent (would happen a couple times in a row and then not happen again for a few miles, repeat). It seems to happen when I am in a low gear then start shifting into a higher gear, the arm doesn't move back with the shift. It is brand new and not sure what would be causing it.

Anyone have a similar issue? or a possible fix? wondering if its a lubrication issue from Sram? I will probably call them, but I am always hoping to just do my own fix so I have limited down time.

When working the arm in my hand it doesn't feel like anything is binding it up.

Thanks for any help or insights.
Trav

·
Registered
398 Posts
A couple things to check. Do you have the correct chain length - large ring to large ring plus 2 links without running through the RD? Is B-screw adjusted with correct angle?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I added the proper chain length, and I adjusted the b-screw as per recommended by sram. I have been riding non-clutch X9 for a few years now with no issues and I set them up all the same.

Not sure what the heck is going on with this thing...

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are into DIY maintenance then you might try opening up the clutch mech to clean, inspect, and re-grease.

Scroll thru this article until you see the procedure for servicing the T2 derailleur http://m.pinkbike.com/news/tech-spotlight-identifying-and-correcting-rear-end-creaks.html

I built up a bike with BikeCo and supposedly they performed this "service" for me since the early T2's had trouble with sticking and clunking.

Actually starting to think I might need to break open and inspect my T2 as it doesn't seem to behave as well so far this season...(excessive racket & dropped a chain last night w/ a brand new narrow-wide ring)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I DIY everything, which is why I am trying to avoid dealing with a shop and sram, since sram doesn't work direct with end users.

Part of me wondered how well the internals were lubricated from the factory, I just purchased this RD 2 months ago from Art's but doesn't mean its not an early version that has been sitting on a shelf.

Guess since i have some rainy days ahead I will open it up and see what I find.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curiosity got the best of me this weekend - opened it up following the instructions and it was pretty dry imo, so I re-lubricated everything and reassembled but it is still sticking. At this point I am sure I cant get it warrantied due to tampering with it so I just ordered another one because I just want to ride without issues.

If this new one does the same thing I will go through my LBS and it can keep going back to SRAM until I get one back from them that works...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts