Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I am currently running a sramx9 on an 8 speed set up. Recently, i just found out that there is a little problem with the shifting. It is smooth and crisp on all the sprockets except when shifting from 7 to 8. I realised that the derailleur is not pulling itself hard enough to shift to the 8th gear.

Is this a problem of a spring that has weaken? How do i go about solving this?

Thanks for your time! =)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Er, are you sure that the limit screws or cable tension are set correctly. 9sp and 8sp have the same spread between top and bottom so it should work with the correct shifter.

By gear '8', you mean the smallest cog???

The spring is there to upshift (ie into smaller toothed cog) once the cable tension has been released. If it were weak then it would do so on every shift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, gear 8 being the smallest cog. It upshifts perfectly except for 7 to 8. The derailleur doesn't seem to pull itself enough. I when i release the cable tension when going to 8, i can see a slight slack of the cable at the rear dee.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,213 Posts
clutche said:
Hi guys.

I am currently running a sramx9 on an 8 speed set up. Recently, i just found out that there is a little problem with the shifting. It is smooth and crisp on all the sprockets except when shifting from 7 to 8. I realised that the derailleur is not pulling itself hard enough to shift to the 8th gear.

Is this a problem of a spring that has weaken? How do i go about solving this?

Thanks for your time! =)
Can you manually grab the RD to make it shift?

If not, and the cable looks slack, then the limit screw is likely the culprit.

If you CAN move it, it is likely a problem with the cable/housing. How old is the cable and housing? If it is old, replace it. If it is new, check that there is not a kink in the cable that gets hung up on something as the cable moved to the 8 position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.