Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Gear Head
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just installed a Sram x9 type 2 RD and 10 speed shifter. I got everything dialed in and took the RD all the way up the cassette from the smallest cog to the largest. I shifted up to the next cog and that worked fine. Tried to shift up again and didn't get a click. The trigger moves but doesn't click to release cable tension. Then all of a sudden it decided to give and it shifted fine after that. Took it for a trail ride a few days ago and I had the same problem. Didn't want to shift until I pressed it a few more times and it finally clicked and up shifted to a smaller cog. Luckily it only happened once on the trail but once I got home and put the bike on the stand the same problem occoured. This time I'm not so lucky and it seems like it's totally stuck, the shifter works but will not shift to smaller gears. I can shift down into the easiest gear and back up one gear but it wont work after that. Under Sram warranty it looks like I will need to call the shop I bought it from on amazon.com In the mean time I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem?

·
Registered
184 Posts
It sounds like a cable is hanging up to me. Downshifting is moving into a larger cog on the cassette and forced by your thumb on the lever. Upshifting is moving into a smaller cog and only uses spring tension. If the cable is getting caught in the housing or a burr I could see it not working reliably, but some of the time.

·
Resident Gear Head
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I flip flopped my terms, I have reworded my post. The problem comes when trying to shift from a large cog to a smaller cog, not the other way around.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
It sounds like a cable is hanging up to me. Downshifting is moving into a larger cog on the cassette and forced by your thumb on the lever. Upshifting is moving into a smaller cog and only uses spring tension. If the cable is getting caught in the housing or a burr I could see it not working reliably, but some of the time.
yup.. my first guess would be a broken/kinked thread of the cable somewhere..

·
Registered
810 Posts
having the same issue on a couple years old X0 shifter - I can shift into the smaller 3-4 cog only when I'm near the top (size 42T for me on 1x10) where I suspect the spring tension is strong enough to move, but not the rest of the cassette.

Thanks, I'll check the cable getting caught and too much friction. I recently put a new cable but maybe time for new housing...

·
All fat, all the time.
9,043 Posts
I always do cable and housing at the same time....

having the same issue on a couple years old X0 shifter - I can shift into the smaller 3-4 cog only when I'm near the top (size 42T for me on 1x10) where I suspect the spring tension is strong enough to move, but not the rest of the cassette.

Thanks, I'll check the cable getting caught and too much friction. I recently put a new cable but maybe time for new housing...

·
Registered
810 Posts
ya, it's kinda pointless to do the cable and not the housing.. if one needs to be replaced, they both do.
well I tend to have cable breakage near the RD where it rubs on the ALU arm, so I replace them much more often... and good light housing can be pricey (the last spare one I bought for dirt cheap on Pricepoint are really heavy vs the original on the bike I noticed).

Anyway, I cut the end pieces where there was a bent, moved the cable though a lot and especially re-oiled the shifter mechanism (been 4 years) and it seems to have fixed the shifting to small cog issue. Glad I didn't need to buy another shifter... :)

·
All fat, all the time.
9,043 Posts
well I tend to have cable breakage near the RD where it rubs on the ALU arm, so I replace them much more often... and good light housing can be pricey (the last spare one I bought for dirt cheap on Pricepoint are really heavy vs the original on the bike I noticed).

Anyway, I cut the end pieces where there was a bent, moved the cable though a lot and especially re-oiled the shifter mechanism (been 4 years) and it seems to have fixed the shifting to small cog issue. Glad I didn't need to buy another shifter... :)
I'll probably jinx myself, but I've never worn out a shifter to a point it didn't function anymore. Rear derailleurs yep, but never the actual shifter itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turns out...it wasn't a cable problem

Hi,

This thread hasn't been active so awhile, but I've been having problems with an SRAM X.9 rear derailleur that was balky at shifting into the smallest cogs on the cassette. I'm thinking others may be encountering the same problem, so...

I have an old SRAM X.9 derailleur (2007) that would shift reliably on the larger cogs, but would not shift properly into the smaller cogs on the cassette. Sometimes I would shift to a smaller cog but the derailleur would stick until I hit a bump, at which point the derailleur would then pop into the desired gear.

I was initially convinced it was a cable or housing problem, but replacing both cable and housing didn't help. With the bike on a stand, I could disconnect the cable entirely and the bike still wouldn't shift over to the smaller cogs. After reading posts on this and other forums, it's pretty clear that this was a common problem with SRAM X.9 and X.0 rear derailleurs.

In my case, it turned out to be the four main rivets on the parallel arms of the derailleur. Apparently they were over-tightened or over-compressed during manufacture. This prevented the derailleur from moving all the way over to the smaller cogs even with the cable detached.

I used a finishing punch with a pretty skinny head and a few gentle whacks with a hammer to the CENTER OF BOTH ENDS OF ALL FOUR RIVETS in hopes of slightly loosening up the rivets. I also spayed carburetor cleaner on the affected joins and worked the derailleur by hand. This last step was repeated several times. Final step was to apply some chain lube (Rock n Roll Gold) to the affected joints.

This seems to have worked. The action on the derailleur is much smoother & freer. At present, the bike is shifting properly through all 9 gears on the cassette.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll probably jinx myself, but I've never worn out a shifter to a point it didn't function anymore. Rear derailleurs yep, but never the actual shifter itself.
I'm on my second GX 10-speed shifter, x9 derailleur. It's like cogs in the shifter are being stripped when I'm going from a small gear to a bigger gear.

With the broken shifter I can shift from the smallest gear up 2-3 bigger gears, but then the internal mechanism seems to "lose grip."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts