Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can adjust it to shift perfect down the cassette but then it won't shift back up the cassette. Won't move off the smallest cog (11T) at all.

I can adjust it to shift up the cassette perfect but then it won't shift off the third cog down on the first click. Next click it drops down two cogs. Does that make sense?

So if I'm on the 42 and I shift to the next cog the chain moves just fine. Click the shifter again and the chain moves to the next cog perfect. Click again and it fails to move the chain. Click again and it skips a cog and moves two. Then it usually will shift ok the rest of the cassette. It just wants to get caught up on that one cog.

I can only get it to shift up or down but not both. It's almost time to bring out the BFH and see if a few whacks with that fixes anything...or at least makes me feel better. Until I have to buy a new derailleur anyways.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Could be your shifter cable is dirty or getting stuck. Shifting down the cassette (to smaller cogs) requires the spring to move the cable. Try pulling on it by hand when fails to shift into 3rd gear. Replace inner cable, maybe outer housing too. Most likely, this is not the problem because you can make it shift up or down but not both.

Could be your derailleur hanger bent, needing re-alignment or replacement. Park tool DAG isn't cheap, but it's good to have on hand. Your local bike shop has one. If you or LBS re-align the hanger, be sure to have a spare handy--order a new one if you don't already have a spare. Most likely, this is the problem.

Could be your derailleur is damaged, like bent cage. In which case, a new derailleur might be needed.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I swapped the hanger and it seems to have helped and maybe even fixed the issue. Crazy though as there's absolutely not obvious damage or bend to it and it's a pretty stout hanger. Never crashed the bike either...well I did yesterday but I was having the shifting issue before the crash...I guess it's possible I hit the derailleur on something and didn't realize it. But yeah...you called it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Well...I swapped the hanger and it seems to have helped and maybe even fixed the issue. Crazy though as there's absolutely not obvious damage or bend to it and it's a pretty stout hanger. Never crashed the bike either...well I did yesterday but I was having the shifting issue before the crash...I guess it's possible I hit the derailleur on something and didn't realize it. But yeah...you called it. Thanks!
Even a new hanger likely isn't perfectly aligned. 1x11 is pretty finicky in my opinion when it comes to alignment. You can use an old wheel with cone bearings if you have one kicking around, otherwise buy/build an alignment tool. I generally find a 1/2" off at the wheel diameter will give wonky shifting with GX 1x11, which is way closer then you'll get eyeballing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts