Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bother, i'm a new AM player and this is my first post on mtbr. If there's any violation in my post, i hope admins will understand. im now riding a commencal meta am with xt 8100. After riding with it for 1000km, i think this transmission system is quite boring. Its quiet, smooth, sometimes unstable, can't complete downshift for some seconds, and most of all, it looks....so ordinary. So recently wanna try some Sram things, looking forward to 2021 X01 Eagle with a 2021 XX1 rainbow cassette. In my country the price of X01 Eagle was 3times higher than xt 8100, about 30% higher than 9100. So i'm wondering if it is worth to upgrade my 8100. Hope someone can give some opinion, very thanks.

P.S: My bike weight 16.9kilograms.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Em... if you are looking for performance improvement you should just setup existing drivetrain right (downshifting delay sounds like cable housing must be changed, maybe tension is off etc.) Shifting on poorly setup XX1 will be as bad as on X5 for 30$ :D

If you are looking for visual improvment then rainbow cassetes, gold chains etc. is the way to go.

It looks to me that you want visual bling bling and you are searching for "functional" excuse to justify cost. Skip that - just buy rainbow stuff if you like it - just because its rainbow, no need for other excuses :D

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
77 Posts
Also if your looking for better shifting and going to SRAM you are going backwards.
I don't have any experience with 11/12sp shimano stuff, but for what it's worth my XT/SLX 1x10 shifts considerably better than my GX Eagle 1x12, with both set up properly and an ANCIENT shift cable/housing in the 1x10.

I wish I had a shimano 1x12 setup, especially an XT! keep it!

-DS

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Because the Shimano and SRAM shifters are quite different, it may come down to a matter of personal preference.

^^I wish I had 12-sp. XT too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Em... if you are looking for performance improvement you should just setup existing drivetrain right (downshifting delay sounds like cable housing must be changed, maybe tension is off etc.) Shifting on poorly setup XX1 will be as bad as on X5 for 30$ :D

If you are looking for visual improvment then rainbow cassetes, gold chains etc. is the way to go.

It looks to me that you want visual bling bling and you are searching for "functional" excuse to justify cost. Skip that - just buy rainbow stuff if you like it - just because its rainbow, no need for other excuses :D
Thanks for replying.

Yes, your understanding is correct. I plan to replace my XT mainly because the new X01 and rainbow cassetes are much more good-looking. Buy due to the price of X01 in my place is much higher than XT, so i'm wondering whether the extra price is only improved in appearance. I have tried the 2020 12s GX, it didn't performance as good as XT. So I guess X01 would be much better, but seems like it's not true in fact.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You can buy just the cassette and chain and use it with an XT system (you will need to get an XD freehub for the SRAM cassette).

That rainbow color is going to be temporary though. It will quickly get covered in black grease and the coating will rub off eventually.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for replying.

Yes, your understanding is correct. I plan to replace my XT mainly because the new X01 and rainbow cassetes are much more good-looking. Buy due to the price of X01 in my place is much higher than XT, so i'm wondering whether the extra price is only improved in appearance. I have tried the 2020 12s GX, it didn't performance as good as XT. So I guess X01 would be much better, but seems like it's not true in fact.
Extra price is improved appearance 95%, you will not get any shifting improvment (assuming shifting is setup correct). You may get slightly different feel when shifting but thats about it. You get used to Shimano or SRAM shifting feel in few rides, had both and both shift perfect.
Just buy rainbow stuff if you like it - just because its rainbow. There are no other logical/technical "reasons" . But its well known that people are not only logical/technical beings... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts