Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week, my two month old Nukeproof Mega 275c RS started creaking on the climbs. Never had a creak I could get rid of so... The group is X01 Eagle, but they put a GX chain on so that was the first thing to go.

-then a new Eagle chain ring
-cassette is good with no skipping so greased and re torqued
-greased and re torqued the cranks
-swapped pedals
-not the seat, creaks out of the saddle as well
-lubed the derailleur pivot
-packed all pivot bearings with greased and re torqued
-even lube all the rear spoke nipples lol!
STILL CREAKS like crazy!:madman:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I can say after 1500km, the DT Swiss 1501 30 wheels are still perfectly true...and lubed lol. As for b gap, think it's good, but I've got a gauge on order that should be here in a few days. Creaking only happens during steady climbing. If I can find a bb79 tool, I'll try removing the BSA Dud bottom bracket, grease and install. Doubt that's it though.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,800 Posts
Well I can say after 1500km, the DT Swiss 1501 30 wheels are still perfectly true...and lubed lol. As for b gap, think it's good, but I've got a gauge on order that should be here in a few days. Creaking only happens during steady climbing. If I can find a bb79 tool, I'll try removing the BSA Dud bottom bracket, grease and install. Doubt that's it though.
BB/crank interface, crank/rings and seatpost are probably the most common sources.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BB/crank interface, crank/rings and seatpost are probably the most common sources.
Yea, dub cranks take 54NM of force. That's a lot! As for the ring, it's a direct mount. I used some red loctite on the interface just to make sure lol! As for the post, creaking out of the saddle as well. New bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solved! I had narrowed it down to the cassette. Or at least I was sure that was the issue. Tried different grease and lube combinations and torque settings above and below the spec 40NM. Nothing worked. Thought, hey I should clean the star ratchet on my 240 DT hubs. Super easy and stupid expensive to replace. Inboard star ratchet was stuck down. The outboard ratchet was making contact so you'd never know. That was it! Quiet as a mouse now.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I have no idea why you would put the component spec in the title of this post. Creaking is rarely from that.
I think a lot of creaks come from the drivetrain. Mine specifically shows up in the biggest 3-4 cogs. Gotta be either torque on the freehub or wrong b-tension or something but I'm pretty sure it's drivetrain related.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My GX rear mech is creaking and clicking like crazy. I thought it was BB, Pivots etc. I greased everything and still. I finally wiggled the rear mech and the clicking creaking was so load and obvious.

I would suggest that you wiggle your mech side to side and see what noise you find.

I am going to try and warranty mine tomorrow.

My bike is almost a year old and this sound started about 3 months ago and has gotten progressively worst.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.