Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble getting 1071 chain to travel consistently up and down 1070 cassette smoothly. More of a problem coming down the cassette. Using a X9 clutch derailleur. I have one long cable housing that is fairly new and seems to be no resistance there. The shifter comes with the black coated cable. Seems like I've had trouble with those. Has any body else had this problem and is it the cable or compatibility of the X0 to X9?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Check your hanger, make sure the cable outer is cut with enough length (especially important on a dually), and ensure the outer also has no burrs or crimped sections on the cut ends. I've also come across situations where the outer had been crushed for one reason or another. This will kill shift quality too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did that. Actually did clean up the cable housing at the derailleur and it didn't make a difference. The rear cage is on the same plain as the cassette teeth and hanger is pitched correctly. I went back to my 9spd set up with no issues. It acts like the derailleur and shifter are not in sink with each other.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Check your hanger, make sure the cable outer is cut with enough length (especially important on a dually),.......
.......The rear cage is on the same plain as the cassette teeth and hanger is pitched correctly. I went back to my 9spd set up with no issues. It acts like the derailleur and shifter are not in sink with each other.
tells me you most likely have a slight pitch of the hanger.. 10 speed stuff is highly sensitive to hanger alignment and it's not something you can "see" you need to use the tool.

as to the cable, they are some of the best cables that SRAM (and shimano) include with their shifters..

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Thanks for the input. Got a replacement hanger and bolt coming for a Specialized Epic 29er. You can't just bend those into proper alignment. I'll run my 9spd for now.
note often times even a new hanger will need to be adjusted/aligned because often times the frame is lightly tweaked ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.