Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I could gap that.
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences and similarities between these two groups? I mean like derailleurs and shifters, not calipers, hubs, etc. I used to ride Shimano on my XC bikes but then started to ride Sram once I got my Speci Demo. I saw that alot of people have been putting the '09 Saint on their bikes, but why, what's so great about it? -Thx

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Saints deraileurs are heavy, but they are getting lighter year by year. X-0 is a bit expensive for the slight weight savings. I use X-9 on most of my stuff, if you prefer Shimano, I'd say go XT.

·
1,113 Posts
saint is heavier als supposed to be stronger, and also catered more for more FR DH orientated bikes.

Always been on sram myself.

Going to give the saint stuff a try and see how it works out.

·
jones'in
917 Posts
Uncleroxk said:
+1 for sram, i can't get uses to the shimano shifter
Me neither. I think that I'd probably go with the Saint RD on my new bike, but I can't stand the Shimano shifters. The X-9 has been bullet proof for me and I'm a huge fan of SRAM shifters, so I'll probably stick with SRAM for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i had x9,bought purley because of forums,next time i will stick to what i know and that is shimano.

for the cost the sram line is poorly constructed,with very cheap materials being used,on the outside the sram looks good,but open them up and its differing story.

also all sram line is xc based with no real dh-fr groupset actually being made,the other bugbear about sram for me in the uk anyways is the price.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
I tried the new XT dual release shifters and they DO NOT feel the same as Sram shifters. I couldn't get used to it and went back the my venerable Sram shifter/derailleur.

I have an older XO derailleur that I've had on 4 bikes now. (Aluminum mid-cage.) After almost 3 seasons of sliding off rocks and crashes, it still works great! All the shorter cages are plastic now, so If you can find an aluminum one, get it.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Besides the fact that I had a Shimano chain and derailleur completely blow up on me...

I just love the SRAM stuff. The X-9 is cheap, SUPER strong, and super reliable. I've ridden my X-9 stuff in all sorts of terrain, weather, and on my trail bike and my DH bike. Never had any issues. They're very easy to set up, too.

X-O is just too pricey in my honest opinion.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The new Shadow stuff shifts well, but it's got some problems. It apparently chews up cables like crazy.

If you like the SRAM shifters, you can always run a Rocket shifter with a Shimano derailleur.

I've never had issues with my x9. It holds up well and shifts great.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"The new Shadow stuff shifts well, but it's got some problems. It apparently chews up cables like crazy."

It's almost certainly user error. If the inner cable extends more than 3cm beyond the mounting bolt it's going to get caught in the spokes, which, sooner or later, is going to result in rapid fraying. Because it's such a short distance between the end of the cable and the bolt, the fraying can result in the cable coming loose at the mounting bolt and slipping out. It's more a quirky design than a poor design, in my opinion, and is a non-issue if the fitter observes the Shimano instructions. And we all know how often people do that....

We've three Shadow mech across our bikes and haven't experienced any problems. I'm also going to agree with konut's observation that SRAM components don't appear particularly well constructed and that materials leave something to be desired. The X7 and X9 derailleurs that I've used didn't feel so bad, but the shifters, alhough performing nicely (when new) felt simply terrible, in both function and build/material quality. SRAM actually tends to run a little more expensive than Shimano in the UK, which perhaps accentuates this difference in product quality.

Quite how anyone can find one system easier to set up than the other escapes me. Could anyone explain?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
basically, deciding between them, it's all personal preference:

first: decided which shifters you like better. I for one have no problem with shimano derailleurs, but I don't like their shifters too much. because of this, I go with sram.

differences in leverage ratio and pod ergonomics will account for the different feel of each. also shifting style will factor in (some people prefer/need to use their index finger for upshifts, which is only on shimano). pick the one you like better (trying all levels. XO shifters are much nicer than x9. not sure on lx vs xt vs. xtr though). then pair a matching derailleur to your shifter of choice:

second: which derailleur. what are you doing with it, and what are your goals?
for shimano:
XT for cheaper, lighter alternative. no short cage available
saint short cage for DH use. more durable, but heavier

for sram:
x-7 on a tight budget.
x-9 same performance as X0, but on a budget. not-rebuildable, but plenty strong for DH
XO if you've got money to burn. light, rebuildable, no more durable than an X-9

That said, ignore anyone on the internet saying that one brand is better than the other. both companies make very good products, and both do what they're supposed to do. It is merely a matter of personal preference as to which you choose. kinda like deciding between a ford and a chevy. both do the same thing, but it's all preference on which you buy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.