Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have made the mistake I always said I would not do and that was to take apart my SRAM shifters. Instead of taking apart the top bolt I removed the bottom bolt that holds the bottom thumb shifter in place. When I did this a little spring popped out and I did not have chance to see where is was installed.

https://www.mtbguidebook.com/sram-shifters/sram-x9-1.jpg
https://www.mtbguidebook.com/sram-shifters/sram-x9-2.jpg

I have taken some photos to give people an idea of what I have done.

Any help would be greatly recieved on how to put this back together so I can go riding again.

Cheers

Ollie

·
Registered
1 Posts
assembly

The little piece with the "S" on it goes in the bottom of the trigger. Only one place and one way it will go. The spring slides over the round little peg sticking up from the bottom of the trigger. One end of the spring rest against the little black piece with the "S" on it. The other end of the spring rest against the inner wall of the bottom of the trigger.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hello

I can help you out with this. Ive attached a pic of the exploded diagram for the Sram X9 shifter (2007 model)

The spring in question is a royal PITA! It sits on the lever body (area that is greased) It's extremely difficult to describe where it goes without a photo to show you.

Try and take a really clear shot of the lever - i'll edit it too point out where it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tiffster...or others who have replaced 2007? sram x9 FRONT shifter knob.

I have a 2007 trance with 2006 x9 shifters.

I broke the small black lever hitting a tree.

i took apart the pod to crazy glue it back on.

i can't find a diagram of the front shifter anywhere.

I've seen the pictures of the x0 and x9 you've posted, these must be for newer shifters than i have, as mine don't have the + shaped knob on the top of the shifter pod.

Anybody have any pictures? Plllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee???!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had to do this twice in a year. The lever won't return after a few muddy rides. This calls for a disassembly to wipe the bushings clean. Finally gave up as it is very difficult to out things together again once you take things of the bottom portion (lever with allen). I finally gave up a few weeks ago and shopped for a replacement x9. Didn't want to fork up the money to find I would have to do the same thing over again after a few months. Thought about the XO but was scared it might do the same thing at greater cost. Finally downgraded to an x7 and living with it.

·
weight weenie
97 Posts
Strike the primer said:
Mine has a spring on the top(as in the pic) and below (not in the pic).

This thing does not want to go back together......ARRGH!

Can anyone help?
Sorry for lifting this old thread up. How did you solve the problem? I have done the same mistake to my front 2009 X.0 trigger and can't get it work anymore. If i press the thumb shifter so little that i don't hear the click it recovers back to place but when i press it more and hear the click the thumb shifter gets stuck in that place. :madman:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts