Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2008 Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe which came with X.9 RD, LX FD and X.7 shifters.

And of course, I've got the upgrade disease and looking to upgrade parts.

For now I'm keeping the X.9 rear D, but maybe next year will get the X.0 rear D, and maybe X.0 front D.

Would it make more sense to go X.0 all at once, or is there any benefit of getting the X.0 shifters now and wait til later for the derailleurs?

(If it doesn't provide a huge advantage I can probably put the money towards tires or a more comfy seat, and do the shifters later with the rest of the drivetrain, along with hubs and cassette.)

thnx :thumbsup:

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
The upgrade you speak of is not only going to cost lots of $$$, you're really not going to notice much if any benefit. Per cost, new tires may be the most perceptible way to improve the way your bike performs, the next would be wheels or fork upgrade. The X9/X7 works remarkably well, beat those into the ground and then decide if it's worth the $$$ (and even then, I would just stick with X9 all around--that's what I have on my bike).

·
Drunk Poster
364 Posts
I made the switch from X7 to X0 shifters a couple of weeks ago and I noticed a huge difference. I have an XTR E type front derailuer and an X0 rear. I like the feel of the X0's better. They also shift more precisely and crisper than the X7's. I really dig the fact that I can adjust the levers position.

I think you would see a bigger bang for your buck from upgrading your tires, saddle, grips, and Pedals.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just switched from 06 X9 shifters and rear derailer to 08 X0 shifters and rear derailer. If you really feel the need to upgrade go for the X9 components. The X0 are nice but I honestly didnt see that big a difference. They look pretty...
I have a set of 08 X7 on anoter bike and ws pretty impressed with them for the price.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thnx for the feedback! i think i will hold off for now, at least until next year... i think the '08 X7 shifters are like the older X9 shifters, and my '08 X9 rear d shifts pretty nice, even uphill under power - i'm quite satisfied with it, so not really any complaints that i see an *immediate* need to upgrade.... but i can see where the X0 can provide more precision in the shifters vs the X7... but that's about the only gripe and it's a minor one...

i guess the biggest draw of the X0 shifters is the adjustable lever position (and the improved precision the jawndoe is describing)... the weight savings/carbon fiber from X0 compos is a secondary benefit...

cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
I also have the X.7 system and upgraded to a X.0 rear derailleur($50/used)......what a difference! Apart from being 60 grams lighter- the X.0 shifts like melt-in-your-mouth butter, now. I'll keep the X.7 triggers for the time being, because they are fully compatible, and operate like clockwork. When the X.7 triggers start acting up- I'll probably get the X.0 twisters- where for close to a quarter-pound lighter(than X.7 triggers)..... you can dump all eight gears in a single twist!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Zachariah said:
I also have the X.7 system and upgraded to a X.0 rear derailleur($50/used)......what a difference! Apart from being 60 grams lighter- the X.0 shifts like melt-in-your-mouth butter, now. I'll keep the X.7 triggers for the time being, because they are fully compatible, and operate like clockwork. When the X.7 triggers start acting up- I'll probably get the X.0 twisters- where for close to a quarter-pound lighter(than X.7 triggers)..... you can dump all eight gears in a single twist!
Sounds like your x.7 was possibly adjusted badly. From my experiences, expensive shifters make far more difference then expensive rd's. This is also good as for the most part, you don't go round whacking your shifters into rocks.

But if I were in your position I would def. go with a new seat, play with wider bars and stem lengths ect.

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Tires first

You're right the XR's stink, I just changed them out on my 2009 Fuel EX8 for Mountain Kings and the difference is remarkable. The kings stick in gravel, dirt, mud, or roads, I love them. I also added a one and a half inch carbon Titec handlebar that sweetened things nicely. Oh yeah, I upgraded the XT rear derailleur and LX shifters to X.9 and X.9, now it even shifts good!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
X.0 front der? Don't think they make one.

Best derraileur for the money is Shimano XTR. Nothing beats it. Get one off eBay.

I'd upgrade to X.9 shifters and an XTR FD and leave it at that. That and some new tires.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just picked up some '08 X9 shift pods for fairly cheap to replace my X7 shifters (which aren't bad - don't really like the clutter from the indicators - which aren't really accurate anyway, and I never ever look at).

The X9 pods should work well with my X9 rd. I don't think I'll go X0 - doesn't sound worth it. Very happy with X9 rear der - it's been flawless so far, very crisp. Might upgrade the LX fron der eventually, but it's been working fine, so will leave for now.

cheers

·
Registered
469 Posts
Beemer2 said:
You're right the XR's stink, I just changed them out on my 2009 Fuel EX8 for Mountain Kings and the difference is remarkable. The kings stick in gravel, dirt, mud, or roads, I love them. I also added a one and a half inch carbon Titec handlebar that sweetened things nicely. Oh yeah, I upgraded the XT rear derailleur and LX shifters to X.9 and X.9, now it even shifts good!
I'm about to upgrade from the same XT/LX to X.9. I have a bike with XT/XT that works well, but those LX shifters that came OEM on my new bike are garbage. It's amazing how much difference there is between the two sets.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got the X9 shifters installed - noticeably better feel than the X7's... a little snappier and more precise/defined indexing... works really well with the X9 RD and makes the LX FD work better.... plus as a bonus, looks better too (more black to go with my flat black HiFi) ;)

cheers

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Having used XTR for years then switching to XO rear d and shifters has been the best one of the best upgrades I've made.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i went from acera shifters and a alivio rear d, to a deore rear d, to an lx rear d, then to a full x9 setup. honestly, they all shifted. the only thing that gave me problems was the alivio rear d (way too much side play), the rest shifted into gear and didnt give me problems at all.

i guess the full x9 setup is smoother, but not really that much. good cables and housings and proper setup matter more than the brand on the side.. the big thing is tires, wheels and suspension.

·
Registered
456 Posts
worth every penny

I have 2007 X0 shifters with X0 rear and an LX front on one bike. 2006 X9 shifters and rear der, LX front on another bike. Just built up a bike for the GF with 2008 X9 shifters, X9 rear, XT front. I installed and set up all three...so there isn't a difference in "tune."

The X0 are SO precise and SO much smoother than the X9...even the X9s that look like the X0s. Using the same avid flak jacket cable housings too.

The only thing I do not like about the X0s (might be the same for the newer X9 as I haven't yet looked that closely at the ones on the GF's bike), but changing out the cables on my 2006 X9 shifters was a hell of a lot easier than on the 2007 X0 shifters. But, for me...they still shift WAY better. Precision and effort are better than the X9s.

But, lets face it...shifters aren't that much of a bang for the buck. Invest in a top notch fork or wheelset (though either will cost you considerably more than just shifters) Now, quality forks and wheel sets will make you feel faster or more confident on tech stuff. Shifters...won't really help with either.

·
What's "social pace?"
957 Posts
I would DEFINITELY put a good bit of money into shifters. Compared to what's on the other end of the shift cable, a shifter is the far more complex part. Derailleurs are pretty simple. You'll have a darn significant improvement in shift quality there if you upgrade the X7's to X0's.

That said, I'd make sure your wheels, tires, and fork are as good as you can get them first because it doesn't much matter how nice you're shifting if you're not sticking it all to the ground.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
I see where forks can make a marked difference in the bumps, but how do you see wheelsets making a difference for you?

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
If the wheelset is...

... flexy, you can't hold a straight line through rugged terrain
... heavy, it's a pain to accelerate with it
... weak, you can imagine what will happen

A nice set of wheels is a worthy upgrade in my book.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Exactly...

amrgb said:
If the wheelset is...

... flexy, you can't hold a straight line through rugged terrain
... heavy, it's a pain to accelerate with it
... weak, you can imagine what will happen

A nice set of wheels is a worthy upgrade in my book.
Exactly what he said.

A more technical explanation is that the heavier wheelset has a larger rotating moment of inertia. That means it takes more force to overcome that inertia. Meaning more effort at the pedals by you. And, more effort to make em stop.

Generally, nice wheelsets will have nicer hubs too. Which also mean less flex, and when paired with the right spokes, right spoke tension and rim, means the bike is more responsive and more predictable. With good hubs, you also get good bearings and seals. That bearing set up can add to more rigidity in the flexure department, but the good bearings/seals will have a well optimized balance of keeping crap out of the bearings, but also minimizing drag (so less maintenance, and easier to spin wheels).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you must upgrade, X9 will probably shift just as smooth as X0, it will just be a little heavier.

But X7 is nice tuff, so as others have said, I would upgrade other areas first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.