Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I have a brand new Blur with SRAM X.0 components-grip shift. The bike came with the axle not being able to get fully situated in the dropout because of a chunk of powder coating that was in its way. The bike was tuned to the not-so-good setup and shifted perfectly. Once I got the chunk of powder coating out of the way so the wheel set in the dropouts correctly, the shifting got all screwey. This is my first time dealing with SRAM, but figured the basics were just like Shimano. The limit screws look to be set up correctly, and the top and bottom gears are not what I'm having issues with. It ghost shifts in the middle. I try to adjust with the barrel adjuster up top near the grip shift. Once I have it correctly set up on that gear, it doesn't want to shift correctly for the next one. How do I fix it?

R

G

·
I am not personally familiar with the Blur, but I know on my full SRAM drivetrain that when I initially set it up I was getting a ton of ghost shifting, which was remedied simply by making sure the cable runs were as straight and tight as possible. I you have any slop in your cables it will cause the SRAM's to have a mind of their own.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
as per 666 above but also check the derailleur hanger alignment.
Sometimes Bike shops bend the hanger slightly to cure annomaly's in the manufacturing process..
It may have ebbn bent to accomodate the deraileurs previous bad alignment. Now you've corrected it but the hanger may stil be out of alignment.

Personally, I find the run in period with SRAM to be a real pain, shortly before the rear derailleur falls off at the first rock sighting....

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Initial setup will always be a bit painful.

First, make sure your cable housing is properly seated in the cable stops and ferrels and the housing themselves aren't too short or too long. Then, make sure your cassette and rear axel have no play and are sitting square in the drop-outs. If there is no problem with these then:

1) Put the bike on the floor and open the rear quick release and make sure the axel is sitting properly in the drop-outs then tighten back up.
2) Put the bike on the stand and make sure you're in the middle chainring
3) Then shift to the smallest rear cog
4) Remove any slack in RD cable with the barrel nut on the shifter, but don't make it too tight.
5) re-check H-gear limit - make sure pulley wheel is in line with smallest cog.
6) Rotate the crank and start shifting one gear at a time, from high to low, and make the appropriate adjustments at the shifter barrel. Go up a gear and down a gear, one pair at a time, until all shifts well. Do this until you reach the biggest cog and then re-check L-gear limit. Also and if necessary, adjust the beta screw if your pulley starts to hit the cogs.
7) If you can't get it working after all this, take it to the shop. You may have a bent RD hanger or you may have a bad shifter or you may have a bad RD.

Good Luck,

EndUser,

P.S. - SRAM stuff works fine, once it's working properly you will appreciate it like most of us have.

·
Custom User Title
717 Posts
Start from scratch

Start from the beginning by following Sram's adjustment instructions. Though some of the tips above may work for those individuals they are different then how Sram tells you to do it. And I've found following their instructions to be very painless. Take the chain off for your initial alignments. It's much easier to see how it's lining up.

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/mountain/x0/RD_X0_9SL_9_7_5_4_3Ins_2_02.PDF

russman said:
Long story short, I have a brand new Blur with SRAM X.0 components-grip shift. The bike came with the axle not being able to get fully situated in the dropout because of a chunk of powder coating that was in its way. The bike was tuned to the not-so-good setup and shifted perfectly. Once I got the chunk of powder coating out of the way so the wheel set in the dropouts correctly, the shifting got all screwey. This is my first time dealing with SRAM, but figured the basics were just like Shimano. The limit screws look to be set up correctly, and the top and bottom gears are not what I'm having issues with. It ghost shifts in the middle. I try to adjust with the barrel adjuster up top near the grip shift. Once I have it correctly set up on that gear, it doesn't want to shift correctly for the next one. How do I fix it?

R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.