Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 10 or so hours riding my new bike, the pulleys became really stiff; virtually seized in fact. Squirting some lube solved the problem but after the next ride they were both virtually jammed again. It's been a really muddy few weeks, and I mean really muddy, but in several years of using XTR, I did not see this problem - the pulleys just ran free for years until the original set finally wore out.
Taking the SRAM pulleys apart, I found them caked solid with mud inside. Not difficult to clean but I wonder should I expect to be doing this every few rides? I can't believe it, given all the great things I read about SRAM X.0 - and I am delighted with all other aspects.
:confused: Has anyone else seen this? And what's the solution? I am hoping that putting everything back together with a good waterproof grease will solve this problem for good.
As I said it's a new bike and I am hosing the mud off after every ride - I wonder if I should? Not a pressure washer but using a reasonably gentle spray nevertheless I am wondering if it is this that has washed the original grease out - there didn't seem to be any sign.
Any advice would be most welcome

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just 8 hours now until I need to be riding - any suggestions about this?

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
No pressure washer around the derailleur pulleys (or any other bearings for that matter)... use a soapy brush to clean the crud off and hose off with some water. Also, repack the bearings with some waterproof grease and check every few rides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.