Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the last 3 weeks off from mountain biking due to knee surgery. Following some small work outs on the stationary bike, I went out yesterday on the snow and bounced along for about 45 minutes on my KM at my usual stomping trails. All was well, knee swelled a little bit, but all in all, I was able to apply a lot more pressure on my right pedal than before the surgery. I'm starting to see visions of even trying skiing next week.

Today, the weather was warmer (46 degrees) and the snow had melted on the trails. Heading down the first hill, it was so muddy that the ExiWolf's clogged up and measured about 3.5" in width at the bottom of a 100 yard hill. Once I go to the bottom of the hill I attempted one turn of the cranks and blew the SRAM X.0 rear derailleur in half and right out of the KM derailleur hanger. I had a few words in my best baritone with nature which only one of my dogs heard.

It looks like the SRAM X.0 bolt that goes into the derailleur hanger is pretty well stripped (must be aluminum). I think the KM threads are okay - or at least salvageable. I tried to put the X.0 together, but it is too bent up and trashed. Dang! That was a costly mistake. On the good side of things - I got 2 years out of it. But I will be replacing it with the much less expensive X.9.

Ouch! Welcome back to mountain biking.... :cool:

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
That was fast!

Is your recovery on schedule, or ahead of it? That seems like it was pretty quick! Too bad about that derailluer. That good ol Iowa black dirt does do a number on stuff, doesn't it?

Whenever anyone talks about mud, I always take it with a grain of salt. They probably haven't had "instant slicks" like we get here in Iowa with this dirt!

Glad to hear you are doing well!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Guitar Ted said:
Is your recovery on schedule, or ahead of it? That seems like it was pretty quick! Too bad about that derailluer. That good ol Iowa black dirt does do a number on stuff, doesn't it?

Whenever anyone talks about mud, I always take it with a grain of salt. They probably haven't had "instant slicks" like we get here in Iowa with this dirt!

Glad to hear you are doing well!
I don't think the recovery is ahead of schedule, but the weight gain of 5 pounds during the past 3 weeks of hobbling around jump started me into action. I can almost fake a walk without a limp now, so in spite of the tears dripping down my face while faking it - I'm on the mend. :D

Thanks to the mud, I'll have to mount the Big Apples up on my Sugar and ride on the pavement until the temperature gets cold enough to freeze the ground again. Even the power hose at the car wash had difficulty getting that Iowa mud off of my tires and my shoes. I was looking at replacement costs of an X.0 rear derailleur and just about fainted at the $$$ I blew on some Iowa clay.

BB

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
Glad you got out for a ride. Sorry that it was a 'spensive one. Look at it this way--you coulda blown that amount of money on a gym membership, but instead you were outside doing what you really wanted to be doing.

BTW, I once torched an X.0 der while JRA. They are rebuildable you know. You might consider calling SRAM tech support to see if they'll replace a few parts for a nominal (?) fee.

They might tell you to take a walk, but it's worth a try.

MC

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mikesee said:
Glad you got out for a ride. Sorry that it was a 'spensive one. Look at it this way--you coulda blown that amount of money on a gym membership, but instead you were outside doing what you really wanted to be doing.

BTW, I once torched an X.0 der while JRA. They are rebuildable you know. You might consider calling SRAM tech support to see if they'll replace a few parts for a nominal (?) fee.

They might tell you to take a walk, but it's worth a try.

MC
Thanks, Mike. I'll give SRAM a call and see what they say.

BB

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
lanpope said:
New knees...blown rear der...sounds like somebody needs to give SS a try :D

Welcome back!

LP

FWIW - My knees hurt much worse after a long day on my geared bikes than they do on my ss/fixies
interesting.....my experience as well. since starting single speeding, zero issues with feet (chronic problem for me historically) or knees...God Bless single speeding.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slim_pickens said:
try a Hone derailler. The conversion is easy and the axle mounted derailler seems bulletproof. Shimano shifting isn't as good, but the peace of mind is worth it.
The threads are stripped on the mounting bolt of the SRAM X.0, but the steel threads of the KM derailleur hanger look to be in much better shape. I'll have to get out in the garage and tinker with it and get a better look.

I have two options after I look at it and see how much damage there is (or isn't):

1. I can mount a good bolt from the opposite side to make sure the threads get back to their original state just in case. Then I will come in from the correct side with a derailleur mounting bolt for the final touch to return the KM threads to their "steel memory state".

2. Or better yet - I can take it to the LBS where they have all the cast and dye tools (or whatever you call them) to work with threads. They salvaged one of my brand new NextLP crank arm threads and a brand new pedal when I failed to tighten the pedal properly and stripped the threads after I built the bike up in 2003. I'm sure he could do the same using his tools on my KM derailleur bolt hole.

Until I take a closer look in the light to see what the threads really look like, I'm just guessing. I was too disgusted yesterday to look as closely as needed.

As long as I have options to "save the KM" frame, I won't freak out just yet. Unfortunately, the KM doesn't have a replaceable derailleur hanger. Well, actually I know Surly sells that frame piece separately, but that would of course involve welding and a repaint which together with shipping to a repair shop for this work would probably cost as much as the KM frame did in the first place (I paid sub $400 for a new unit back in 2003).

Does anybody know if there is some sort of a "gizmo" that you put in the damaged derailleur hanger hole that gives you "new" threads? Some sort of "gizmo" which allows you to mount the rear derailleur directly into the "gizmo"?

I'll take a closer look at the threads on the KM to see what the next step should be...

BB

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
The right helicoil would do the job. Not a bad option anyway, doesn't take much time if you have the tools, might save you a frame later. Many military aplications are helicoiled right from the factory, to aid in replacement later. Wouldn't be a bad thing for bikes.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Wheels Manufacturing have a kit available to bike shops that allows you to drill out hte existing threads and put a small bolt (like a chain ring back bolt) (sorry foggy head for the correct terminology), and continue to use your hanger.

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=maint&prod=maint

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BruceBrown said:
Today, the weather was warmer (46 degrees) and the snow had melted on the trails. Heading down the first hill, it was so muddy that the ExiWolf's clogged up and measured about 3.5" in width at the bottom of a 100 yard hill. Once I go to the bottom of the hill I attempted one turn of the cranks and blew the SRAM X.0 rear derailleur in half and right out of the KM derailleur hanger. I had a few words in my best baritone with nature which only one of my dogs heard.

It looks like the SRAM X.0 bolt that goes into the derailleur hanger is pretty well stripped (must be aluminum). I think the KM threads are okay - or at least salvageable. I tried to put the X.0 together, but it is too bent up and trashed. Dang! That was a costly mistake. On the good side of things - I got 2 years out of it. But I will be replacing it with the much less expensive X.9.
Just an update on the Karate Monkey frame in case a similar thing happens to other owners of steel frames and a derailleur hanger that is part of the frame, rather than replaceable.

I took it to my favorite LBS in Des Moines. They are honest, fair and do very good work (and are now carrying some 29" stuff including a bike or two). About 75% of the threads in the derailleur hanger were able to be saved. In addition, the hanger had bent in towards the cassette from the force of the pedal stroke. Thank goodness for the memory of steel as it was able to be bent back into place with their tools. The chain had also suffered some damage (all this from pretty much 1/2 of a pedal revolution in the mud). The X.0 rear derailleur they didn't want to mess with in terms of rebuilding (but I would entertain any help from you special mechanics out there who might want to take the X.0 project on for some $$). So I have a new X.9 rear derailleur and my Karate Monkey frame has been saved and is ready for me to ride.

Cheaper than a gym membership and comforting to know I didn't trash the frame enough to force me into SS'ing. ;)

BB

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Just an update on the Karate Monkey frame in case a similar thing happens to other owners of steel frames and a derailleur hanger that is part of the frame, rather than replaceable.

I took it to my favorite LBS in Des Moines. They are honest, fair and do very good work (and are now carrying some 29" stuff including a bike or two). About 75% of the threads in the derailleur hanger were able to be saved. In addition, the hanger had bent in towards the cassette from the force of the pedal stroke. Thank goodness for the memory of steel as it was able to be bent back into place with their tools. The chain had also suffered some damage (all this from pretty much 1/2 of a pedal revolution in the mud). The X.0 rear derailleur they didn't want to mess with in terms of rebuilding (but I would entertain any help from you special mechanics out there who might want to take the X.0 project on for some $$). So I have a new X.9 rear derailleur and my Karate Monkey frame has been saved and is ready for me to ride.

Cheaper than a gym membership and comforting to know I didn't trash the frame enough to force me into SS'ing. ;)

BB
if you somehow cannot get the shifting right (jumps in some cogs and not in others), it's probably a misaligned der hanger. it's really hard to get it just right straight.

just something to think about if it doesnt shift right.

on my geared bike i use an SRP wreck-defier breakaway bolt. it has a replaceable weak link that saves the expensive gear. they are hard to find, but a great product

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Great!

Awesome Bruce! Glad to hear they got it up and running for you. Would you mind telling the name of the shop that is starting to carry some 29"er stuff down there? It might come in handy for me or any other Iowans that might be in need when in/ around Des Moines.

Have you been out riding anymore? I just got back in from a 40 mile gravel grinder. Starting to snow again here! :mad:

Cheers!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guitar Ted said:
Awesome Bruce! Glad to hear they got it up and running for you. Would you mind telling the name of the shop that is starting to carry some 29"er stuff down there? It might come in handy for me or any other Iowans that might be in need when in/ around Des Moines.

Have you been out riding anymore? I just got back in from a 40 mile gravel grinder. Starting to snow again here! :mad:

Cheers!
Rasmussen's

http://rasmussenbikeshop.com/

They don't have much in the way of 29", but Rasmussen's at least has that SE B.M. Flyer 29" wheeled bike in stock. I forget the brand of that thing (is it Fuji?), but the price tag is sub $500 and some pictures of it have appeared on this forum. They've got some Mavic rims for wheel builds and a few tires. They are a Specialized and Haro dealer, so not much in the way of product from their main lines. Of course you can find stuff at the Trek/Fisher dealers in Des Moines as well (Bike World).

I was going to ride the Monkey today after work, but it started snowing about noon and by the time I went home from work at 4 there were a couple inches of stuff on the ground and it was coming down strong. No way I was heading out in that.

Gravel grinding? Are you preparing to do the Trans-Iowa?

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Don't let the snow stop you!

BruceBrown said:
Rasmussen's

http://rasmussenbikeshop.com/

They don't have much in the way of 29", but Rasmussen's at least has that SE B.M. Flyer 29" wheeled bike in stock. I forget the brand of that thing (is it Fuji?), but the price tag is sub $500 and some pictures of it have appeared on this forum. They've got some Mavic rims for wheel builds and a few tires. They are a Specialized and Haro dealer, so not much in the way of product from their main lines. Of course you can find stuff at the Trek/Fisher dealers in Des Moines as well (Bike World).
Rassy's, huh? Great guys! My co-worker Jeff Kerkove designed their race teams orange camo race jerseys! Good to know it's them! Hey, even if they don't have much in stock merchandise, at least they know what a 29"er is! ;) That's more than what you can say about some other shops around here.

I was going to ride the Monkey today after work, but it started snowing about noon and by the time I went home from work at 4 there were a couple inches of stuff on the ground and it was coming down strong. No way I was heading out in that
Ha! Yeah, while it's snowing, it may not have been fun, but you ought to try riding in the snow sometime. The 29"er tires do quite well in it. :)

Gravel grinding? Are you preparing to do the Trans-Iowa?

BB
No, not riding a bike, in Trans Iowa. I will be riding in a vehicle! I will be hauling the drop bags, leading out the race at the start, final checking the course, accounting for riders, and whatever else needs done that weekend. Such is the life of an event organizer!

I just like riding, and the gravel roads are great in winter, and any other time of year, for that matter. I might entertain the idea of a couple of the other long, endurance type gravel grinders that are taking place in Kansas, ( Dirty Kanza 200) or in Nebraska this fall. ( Endurosnob Epic)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.