Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get information compatibility between these two components to make a 9-speed to 11-speed conversion a little cheaper. According to some sources, they appear to be compatible. Also, unlike the case with 10-speed deraileurs, a 6mm spaceer isn't needed as the pull ratio for the Shimano 11-speed deraileurs are similar to the old SRAM 9-speed deraileurs.

So has anyone tested this and have it working reliably? I understand that I'll still need to get an 11-speed chain and cassette but it does save a little money not having to by a shifter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I've been trying to get information compatibility between these two components to make a 9-speed to 11-speed conversion a little cheaper. According to some sources, they appear to be compatible. Also, unlike the case with 10-speed deraileurs, a 6mm spaceer isn't needed as the pull ratio for the Shimano 11-speed deraileurs are similar to the old SRAM 9-speed deraileurs.

So has anyone tested this and have it working reliably? I understand that I'll still need to get an 11-speed chain and cassette but it does save a little money not having to by a shifter.

Thanks!
I'm sorry to say so, but this idea makes no sense whatsoever.

If you want 1x11 inexpensively then sram nx is your friend. I really don't understand why you would even attempt this, which for the record I am certain would not work well or possibly at all, and yet you have a X0 on the bike now and want an XT derailleur. Unless it was just given to you, I don't know why you'd buy an XT derailleur if you're trying to save money.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts

Thanks!
Whether you'll save very much vs going NX 11 is a different story, but to answer your question: yes, it works fine. I have experience with both the 10 speed w/ spacer and the 11 speed Shimano Shadow Plus derailleur and SRAM 9 speed mountain shifters. Works great with wide range 9 speed cassette and narrow-wide chainring. 10 speed chain will work fine.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts

Thanks!
Are you trying to use your 9spd shifter to shift 11 cogs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whether you'll save very much vs going NX 11 is a different story, but to answer your question: yes, it works fine. I have experience with both the 10 speed w/ spacer and the 11 speed Shimano Shadow Plus derailleur and SRAM 9 speed mountain shifters. Works great with wide range 9 speed cassette and narrow-wide chainring. 10 speed chain will work fine.
Thanks! That's exactly the answer I wanted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.