Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has dealt with SRAM warranty?

I see one post on this topic and it took one month to turn around.

My X.9 shifter pod went dead today. During my morning ride the front derailleur shifter would not shift up to the 3 (large ring). I removed the cable and reinserted it when I got home, but it still will not click into the 3.

Being Sunday, I emailed SRAM this afternoon explaining my shifter problem. This thing is only 1/2 a year old.

I am curious about other bikers' experiences with SRAM warranty?

Am I okay or are they going to richard me around?

Thanks!

·
It's a love/ hate thing
54 Posts
I would have your local bike shop look at it before you try to contact SRAM to warrenty it.

by dead, does it not pull cable at all? Or does it not pull enough? Have you crashed your bike recently? Or did it simply stop working? You aren't giving enough information to properly diagnose the problem.

I'm a mechanic at a local bay area shop, and I get calls like this all the time. We can't help people if they don't know what they are talking about.

SRAM is a good company to deal with. However, it is frustrating for everyone to deal with a consumer that doesn't know what they are talking about.

Ottoreni said:
I am curious if anyone has dealt with SRAM warranty?

I see one post on this topic and it took one month to turn around.

My X.9 shifter pod went dead today. During my morning ride the front derailleur shifter would not shift up to the 3 (large ring). I removed the cable and reinserted it when I got home, but it still will not click into the 3.

Being Sunday, I emailed SRAM this afternoon explaining my shifter problem. This thing is only 1/2 a year old.

I am curious about other bikers' experiences with SRAM warranty?

Am I okay or are they going to richard me around?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little clearer

The pod is not completely dead, it pulls cable for gears 1 and 2, but it does not CLICK into the 3. I can push the lever down to make the chain go onto the large ring, but as soon as I remove my thumb, because the pod did not click into 3, the chain and the shifter go back to the 2 and the middle chainring.

I crashed over a week ago, so I would find it odd if it was related to this crash. I have ridden 3 times since that ride, 4 if I include yesterday when the shifter began doing this.

pbr said:
I would have your local bike shop look at it before you try to contact SRAM to warrenty it.

by dead, does it not pull cable at all? Or does it not pull enough? Have you crashed your bike recently? Or did it simply stop working? You aren't giving enough information to properly diagnose the problem.

I'm a mechanic at a local bay area shop, and I get calls like this all the time. We can't help people if they don't know what they are talking about.

SRAM is a good company to deal with. However, it is frustrating for everyone to deal with a consumer that doesn't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
962 Posts
humm

I have taken a few shim. shifters apart, and know the internals could have been on the edge, untill you put that one straw on the back, and boke the thing. My last shop would have put a new one on for free (if you purchased the bike there) and try to work a warrenty out later. If that helps at all.

·
rohloff rich
397 Posts
Just the other day i emailed [email protected] about a bent brake lever. They put a new one in the mail to me the same day. I had previously heard bad things about their customer service, but this was excellent. They must have gotten the message.

Shifters are a little different, i.e. more complex mechanically. There could be other things that are affecting the shifter. So you should be sure that the shifter is the problem before you send it in for warranty service. Have you tried undoing the cable at the derailleur, then seeing if the shifter will click into the third position? If it can do this, then the cable length is wrong, the high limiting screw needs adjustment or your crankset may have backed off of the bottom bracket forcing the chainring farther out. If the shifter will not click into the third position without cable tension, then the shifter is probably toast. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heard back from SRAM!

It was great to hear back from SRAM within 24hrs, but their response comes up short. They say they will warranty the part, but I have to take it to my local bike shop.
I explained that I had moved and my new local bike shop, that I frequent not too often, is forty minutes away and not the one I bought the part at. The SRAM guy I spoke with had a lame attitude. "Sorry, sir but this is our policy. We only warranty through local bike shops," was his constant response.

When I asked for the reasoning behind this warranty policy, "it's to support the lbs."
Hey, how about I bought your product! I am supporting your company! I will pay for shipping up to Chicago so you can see the shifter is broken (and, yes, every suggestion mentioned hear I have tried and it is the shifter), but still the same monotone response.

Tomorrow I will go to my lbs, close to two months since I last went there. I will bring my shifter and the email I got. THe SRAM guy says lbs know how they do business and I am dying to see what their response will be.

By far, Cane Creek and RF are the best warranty experiences I have dealt with. Call up, get an RA number and wham, issue resolved.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same issue..

I had the same issue with a Sram 9.0 der. I broke the thing in half and Sram said take it to your local bike shop. Now I do all of my own maint. so I hadn't been to the bike shop in forever. So I take the part in and the email I got from Sram, they call them while I'm there and 3 days later I have a brand new 9.0 der with the new aluminum knuckle, they handled it so well I walked out of there with a new X.0 der. too. Had an issue with the X.O where I broke the aluminum b tension screw, emailed Sram and they sent me out a complete screw kit which I received two days later. I actually just used the screw kit again yesterday when I broke a limit screw. Sram cust. service is excellent, you just have to go through the bike shop for the big stuff.

burger

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll see!

Your experience gives me hope, but what really irks me is that I have a 40 minute drive each way. That's 80 minutes to drop it off, and another 80 minutes to go pick it up. The post office is five minutes from my house. Now I have to drive close to 3 hours in rush hour traffic for this warranty issue, when it could just be a total of 20 mins of driving in suburban traffic. I always thought customer service was there to work with you. SRAM seems very dead set in their ways. I even offered to mail it up to them at my cost but to no avail.

I know someone might comment that I am complaining too much, but I am tight for time! I am lucky if I can ride twice a week. I guess Cane Creek and Race Face spoiled me. This week I will be lucky if I ride at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ottoreni said:
Your experience gives me hope, but what really irks me is that I have a 40 minute drive each way. That's 80 minutes to drop it off, and another 80 minutes to go pick it up. The post office is five minutes from my house. Now I have to drive close to 3 hours in rush hour traffic for this warranty issue, when it could just be a total of 20 mins of driving in suburban traffic. I always thought customer service was there to work with you. SRAM seems very dead set in their ways. I even offered to mail it up to them at my cost but to no avail.

I know someone might comment that I am complaining too much, but I am tight for time! I am lucky if I can ride twice a week. I guess Cane Creek and Race Face spoiled me. This week I will be lucky if I ride at all.
yes, you are complaining too much and how's this for time. You send it to SRAM and do it your way, it takes 3 days to get there, 1 day to look at and another 3 days for them to ship you another one assuming you have a warranty issue. You do it the sram way and you drive for (gasp!) 3 hours have another shifter in 3 days no questions asked.
Your way = 7 shipping days
sram's way = 3-4 shipping days
what are you complaining about?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.