Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EDR
10,502 Posts
What's different? Weight from what I can tell (at certain levels). I have both GX DUB and the Truvativ version. Online charts show the TV to be heavier, and less expensive. I'd assume the same holds true across the line. Aside from that, kinda like GM vs. Chevy I guess. Same platform, different trim levels.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
I have bikes with Raceface and Trivativ cranks. I think Trivativs are better than RF. At least I don't need proprietary tools to replace my Truvativ chainrings.
it's hardly a proprietary tool. it's just a splined cartridge bb tool.

I had an old one sitting in my toolbox gathering dust, and it got a new life when I got my first RF CINCH crank.

I don't think one is inherently better than the other. I do think SRAM is doing carbon cranks better than RF, though. RF has had lots of problems with the alu inserts. But, all my RF cranks are the alu ones, so I have no worries. Carbon cranks aren't for me no matter who makes them.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
Didn't know that. Still is a tool that I don't have as I never needed. Looks like will have to buy one, just for the crank... :madman:
so? I couldn't tell you how many bb tools I have after 20yrs of accumulating them. I'd have to go out into the garage and count them. buy a different brand of bb, chances are you have to buy a new bb tool. buy a frame with a different bb shell spec, chances are you have to buy a new bb tool (unless you were smart/lucky and bought a tool that'll handle more than one bb type earlier).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.