Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
LilLiz said:
Hey guys. I am in the market for a new bike. Which brand do you guys prefer? I have never used SRAM and I am currently riding Shimano parts. Thoughts??
shimano... All the way!

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,184 Posts
Tastes great... less filling... You could go with what you know or try something new- both are good choices.

I've been quite happy with SRAM components X7 and X9 for just about everything.

I have one XTR cassette (nice and light but even on sale not CHEAP!) and a Deore crankset ($52 new was hard to pass up last year).

Keep in mind that unless you are a purist (or a snob ;)), there is nothing wrong with a "best of breed" approach including other manufacturers too. I'm a big fan of getting a lot more for your money and purchasing a used bike (local bike club, Craig's List or eBay).

Think of XTR as the ultimate bling- unless I can find it at a significant discount, no way.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Whichever one feels best to you, they both work good!

Here are level equivelents more or less

SRAM Shimano

X5 Deore
X7 SLX
X9 XT
X0 XTR (maybe a little above X0)
XX XTR
or maybe:

SRAM --- Shimano

X5 --- Deore
X7 --- SLX
X9 --- XT / SLX 10-sp
X0 --- XTR / XT 10-sp
XX --- XTR 10-sp

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Like everyone said, they're both good just different. Shimano shifting action is traditionally "smoother" (which conversely some people say feels "vague") and SRAM shifting action feels/sounds more like it "pops" into place with a solid bang (which conversely some people say feels "clunky")

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
BigBill said:
I actually find more of a difference between coke and pepsi than I do sram vs. shimano. In other words, just go with whichever you can get the best price on.
:thumbsup:
I can go back and forth between Shimano and Sram with no issues, but someone replaces my Pepsi with a Coke and we're gonna have a problem.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The biggest difference for me is that Shimano can be shifted with thumb and index finger where SRAM is thumb -thumg in both directions. I prefer Shimano and if you like, shimano can also be thumb-thumb both ways. Ride a biuke with both and do a lot of shifting.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I use both shimano and sram I can appreciate both. Shimano is quiet and smooth shifting and the higher end model shifter you can upshift or downshift multiple gears in one stroke. Like boomn said sometime it can feel vague.

Sram is positive shifting every time there's audible clack every time I shift it's hard to miss that. Also Sram is 1:1 ratio so after the initial set up there's very little tune up afterward, the shifting stay crisp for a long time.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
mimi1885 said:
Also Sram is 1:1 ratio so after the initial set up there's very little tune up afterward, the shifting stay crisp for a long time.
Yep, I've always liked that. I was very happy to hear that Shimano's new DynaSys ratio is actually quite close to 1:1 now, which is a big improvement over the old "2:1" (it was actually 1:1.7 but that doesn't sound as catchy) and puts them back in the running for future drivetrains for me.

Then again both my geared bike are running 1:whatever since I switched to friction shifting :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.