Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched but most results dealt with Shimano....

Have some Sram Code RSC paired with Sram Centerline rotors. Performance is overall satisfactory, but with even a hint of wetness, the squeal like crazy. Wonder if the culprit is the OEM pads or the rotors? Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Yeah, they sound like a dying goose in the wet. If they're pretty quiet in the dry then it's normal. You could try an aftermarket organic, it would be quieter in the wet but probably not brake as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they sound like a dying goose in the wet. If they're pretty quiet in the dry then it's normal. You could try an aftermarket organic, it would be quieter in the wet but probably not brake as well.
Thx. I've run metallic and organic EBC pads with previous Hope brakes, and never experienced this audible misery. I am incline to believe that [unique] design of the rotors creates that resonance. I like quiet....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, they sound like a dying goose in the wet
This is one of the many reasons I'm 100% Shimano when it comes to brakes.. aside from simply preferring the way that they feel and perform, (largely personal preference, to each their own) I find the inevitable warbling noise (dying goose) downright obnoxious.

All that said, it seems in my experience to be the pad and rotor combo, not just either/or. I ran centerline rotors with XT brakes for a couple weeks one time and they definitely made noise but it wasn't anywhere near as crazy as the RSC's I had taken off shortly before that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Kind of off topic, but it's kind of amusing that Shimano has the quieter brakes now. When the XT/XTR V brakes were introduced, they were infamous for wailing like a banshee.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
SRAM brakes on one of my bikes squeals if it's got a hint of moisture on it, as it would seem.
Shimano brakes on the other bike don't make much noise in the wet. They did over the weekend and it surprised me. haha

At least when SRAM brakes squeal it's a good indication that they are being applied since they don't feel like it. LOL Sorry, couldn't not say it.

I have Level T brakes but I'd like to assume the pad material and rotors are same as your bike. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
This is one of the many reasons I'm 100% Shimano when it comes to brakes.. aside from simply preferring the way that they feel and perform, (largely personal preference, to each their own) I find the inevitable warbling noise (dying goose) downright obnoxious.

All that said, it seems in my experience to be the pad and rotor combo, not just either/or. I ran centerline rotors with XT brakes for a couple weeks one time and they definitely made noise but it wasn't anywhere near as crazy as the RSC's I had taken off shortly before that.
The turkey warble is from not bedding them in with the right technique. My Code RSC's are really quiet in the dry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The turkey warble is from not bedding them in with the right technique. My Code RSC's are really quiet in the dry.
My RSC's were quiet in the dry too.. this thread has been discussing the noise when wet.

Maybe you have some sort of super secret "bedding" technique that the rest of the world doesn't know about? Outside of that possibility I think we've all used the same methods and achieved mostly the same result.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
The turkey warble noise inherent to Centerline rotors happens in the dry and is caused by improper bedding. The honking sound happens in the wet and in my experience happens to every brake system to a degree (especially with sintered pads).

·
Registered
241 Posts
running Code RSC with Ice Tech rotors, no noise at all, wet or dry. same with my TRP's and Ice tech Rotors, so, may be the rotors keeping noise at bay.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Unfortunately I've found that often the loud squeeling sounds often comes from the vibration of the brake pads. As others have said, try different compounds. That can help. I've also found using a different rotor helps big time as well. Amazingly, the shape of the rotor can help to reduce vibration.

One other trick I have found over the years is to make sure the caliper is really parallel with the rotor. If you can imagine the caliper not quite being parallel, as you apply the brake, the rotor will twist as it passes through the caliper and then untwist as it comes out of the caliper.

Good luck, I hope you find your solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One other trick to try is to grease the interface between the brake-pad and piston lightly with some brake-grease (copper colored). Could help depending on what generates the sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.