Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I picked up a Liv Hail for my wife, last week a new Kona for myself. Both are Rockshox equipped. All my bikes have been Fox equipped bar a GT Avalanche I had in 2010 which had Rockshox. I've never had suspension failures, breaks - anything until now;

Friday - unscrewing the valve cap on my wife's Deluxe RT shock when like a bullet the valve shot off with about 120psi behind it. Into the bike shop, off it goes to SRAM for repair. LBS were good enough to pull a shock from one of their hire bikes so my wife could ride the weekend. They are an awesome shop.

Saturday we decide to just do a bike path with our daughter. 6 years old and keener than I am on mountain bikes!

Monday - I notice my fork (Yari, 160mm) sag has gone from the 30% I set on Friday to about 50%. Figured it hadn't equalised or whatever, but let's pull the cap off, check the seal and add some tokens. Fark me. Cap was cross threaded. By the time I got it off there were aluminium filings everywhere. Bike shop are doing their best to get this under warranty (rightly bloody so) but they're concerned that as I'd noticed a change in sag and didn't take it to a shop SRAM may not honour the warranty. We're covered under consumer law in Australia re warranty: what a manufacturer says has little bearing on whether a warranty is honoured but I really don't want to have to make the bike shop wear the cost if SRAM don't come to the party. Like I said, they're an awesome shop but my 1 hour old $3k+ bike is rooted. Thank god I've still got my old Rocky Mountain there to keep me sane.

Anyway, my rant is over. Should have stuck to bikes with Fox bouncing gear I suppose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SRAM honoured the warranty on the fork but are trying to sting me $270 for a $249 shock. They've since dropped the price to where I'll wear it, but I'm not f**king happy. Fox all the way from here. Shimano brakes FTW as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.