Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around a bit, but can't find an answer to this specific compatibility question.

I had to send a Shimano XT RD-M8100 rear derailleur back for service and to make a long story short it has been lost. Shimano is telling me that they won't even have parts until late February at best so I'm just going to order another while that gets sorted. I'm using this with an SLX shifter and I'm not crazy about the way it feels, so I was thinking I might just try something different like GX.

I don't want to swap the whole drivetrain though as the SLX cassette and chainring are still low mileage. I'm wondering if I can keep these and use a Sram GX derailleur and possibly shifter? I could go either way with the chain.

Anyone know if these drivetrain components compatible like this? Would they work well mixing & matching any of it or is this a case where only some or even none of them will work across brands?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Not sure if this answers your question, but I will post.

I have a Shimano 12 spd cassette, chain and chainring. I use an SRAM Eagle derailleur. I do believe that I have read others are using an Eagle cassette with Shimano derailleur and shifter. So if I read your post right, you would need the shifter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if this answers your question, but I will post.

I have a Shimano 12 spd cassette, chain and chainring. I use an SRAM Eagle derailleur. I do believe that I have read others are using an Eagle cassette with Shimano derailleur and shifter. So if I read your post right, you would need the shifter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's exactly what I wanna do. GX shifter and rear mech on the SLX 1x12 10/51. Warm mittens!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rusted out?

I was also referring to how your derailleur got lost. Did you send it to Shimano? Was it them that lost it, or did it vanish during shipment?
Wish I could tell ya. I dropped it off at a dealer and it went on walkabout.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,252 Posts
Wish I could tell ya. I dropped it off at a dealer and it went on walkabout.
Damn. That really sucks.

Anyway, back to the rest of your post - from what I've read on various threads on here, you should be able to make do with a SRAM shifter/derailleur, but it may not work exactly as well as full Shimano. Shimano and SRAM 12spd are not absolutely identical with cog spacing, so there's a good chance it'll be a touch noisy somewhere. But it should shift.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Anyone know if these drivetrain components compatible like this? Would they work well mixing & matching any of it or is this a case where only some or even none of them will work across brands?
Check out the LoveMTB Youtube channel.
He does mix and match a lot and it seems to work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts