Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
A Man Of The Truth
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old stanta cruz has a SRAM GX Eagle Drive train. Great system, great range. But my derailer is beat to **** and is ready to be replaced. While I like SRAM systems overall, I've always preferred Shimano shifters. This leads me to two questions:

1) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter work with a SRAM Eagle derailer and cassette?

2) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter AND XT 12 speed derailer work on a SRAM 12 speed cassette?

It looks like the answer to #2 should be a yes, and maybe even #1. It will be really nice to get back on shimano shifters. I have previously used Shimano shifters with SRAM derailers, I think it was XT and X.9 9 speed. But I definitely want to stick with my 10-50 cassette!

·
Registered
907 Posts
My 1 year old stanta cruz has a SRAM GX Eagle Drive train. Great system, great range. But my derailer is beat to **** and is ready to be replaced. While I like SRAM systems overall, I've always preferred Shimano shifters. This leads me to two questions:

1) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter work with a SRAM Eagle derailer and cassette?

2) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter AND XT 12 speed derailer work on a SRAM 12 speed cassette?

It looks like the answer to #2 should be a yes, and maybe even #1. It will be really nice to get back on shimano shifters. I have previously used Shimano shifters with SRAM derailers, I think it was XT and X.9 9 speed. But I definitely want to stick with my 10-50 cassette!
It should work.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I have XTR 12.....it works fine on a XX1 rear cassette with a Shimano chain.
I just did a short test....but I'd say the XTR cassette shifts a tiny bit better.....and I mean really tiny bit.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Still, I wouldn't spend the money unless you're going to go all in.
Although I agree with you....like I said , the difference was very small, if anything.( I will do some long rides sooner or later with the SRAM cassette)
Add in the micro spline hub/driver fubar.....it makes the SRAM option a viable solution
I now have KMC 12 chain on the way....to see if the XTR chain is really all it's hyped up to be.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Bump.

Anyone have more experience with mixing and matching SRAM and Shimano 12sp?

I currently have GX Eagle, but need to replace my shifter. Will the new XT 12sp shifter work?

Over time I want to swap the other parts of drivetrain to 12sp XT (maybe not the cassette) unless I can easily swap wheels to microspline.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I made the switch a month ago. It's been working great. And the shinamo shifters are much better. I did shifter and derailer but Doing just the shifter should work the same
I haven't tried XT 12-sp, but XTR was buttery smooth. That said, I heard Shimano using different cable leverage than SRAM, so an XT shifter may not work with a GX Eagle derailleur.

Hope someone has tried Shimano shifter and SRAM derailleur...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just a quick bump to confirm an XTR 12 spd shifter will indeed work with an Eagle derailleur.

My 5010 came with NX Eagle and I've always hated the shifter as there's a lot of slop in the downshift lever, even compared to the next step up, GX. Saw some threads on here yesterday, including this one, called a few LBS's and one had the XTR lever in stock for the same price as online so I grabbed it. Installed it after work, didn't change the outer housing as it was relatively new, slid the cable through it, made sure the derailleur was indexed properly and it was shifting perfect.

Love the 2 gear up-shift with this lever. Only thing it won't do, in my limited 5 minute stroll around my yard, is shift under load. Thinking about moving to an XTR derailleur as I'm on my 3rd NX derailleur now, thankfully I didn't have to pay for the 2 that **** the bed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just wanna throw in some quick thoughts: have 4 bikes with Eagle (my wife and I), and two have been never ending headaches with adjustments, ghosting, etc.

Swapped out the GX and XO1 Derailleurs for XT with the XT shifter, kept the rest the same and it's a HUGE upgrade. The shifter is so damn smooth and crisp and there's been no re-adjustments and fiddling.

If you have XD or an existing cassette but are frustrated with Eagle, do yourself a favor and at least just upgrade the Derailleur to SLX/XT/XTR. Worth it.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts

First I'll preface with the face that SRAM and Shimano 12 speed cassettes have the same spacing and are cross compatible. Their shifters and derailleurs however are NOT cross compatible.

1) No.
2) Yes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its good to see some positive feed back in using xt shimano rear derailleur and shifter working with sram XD eagle cassette. I'll be doing this upgrade soon.

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve been running SRAM 12spd cassette and Shimano 12spd RD & shifters for about a year on my HD3 I suspect chain choice and setup has more impact on shifting than the product mix, ooops I err’d I’m using an 11spd XTR RD and 12spd XTR shifter. Shimano 11&12spd has same cable pull so can be mixed which is a good way to get XTR when it’s last years stock.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Just wanna throw in some quick thoughts: have 4 bikes with Eagle (my wife and I), and two have been never ending headaches with adjustments, ghosting, etc.

Swapped out the GX and XO1 Derailleurs for XT with the XT shifter, kept the rest the same and it's a HUGE upgrade. The shifter is so damn smooth and crisp and there's been no re-adjustments and fiddling.

If you have XD or an existing cassette but are frustrated with Eagle, do yourself a favor and at least just upgrade the Derailleur to SLX/XT/XTR. Worth it.
Good to know. I have the GX eagle on my fat bike and am having to constantly fiddle with it. It's been nothing but headaches since I've owned the bike since new. It's garbage in my opinion and I'm looking at switching it all over to XT.

·
Registered
524 Posts
First I'll preface with the face that SRAM and Shimano 12 speed cassettes have the same spacing and are cross compatible. Their shifters and derailleurs however are NOT cross compatible.
Then my bike must have some voodoo magic going on because my bike isn't having any issues running an XTR shifter on a POS NX derailleur.

Guy at the store I bought the shifter from said the same thing "oh, they're not compatible..." meanwhile it works like a charm.

Reactions: minisman

·
Registered
103 Posts
Then my bike must have some voodoo magic going on because my bike isn't having any issues running an XTR shifter on a POS NX derailleur.

Guy at the store I bought the shifter from said the same thing "oh, they're not compatible..." meanwhile it works like a charm.
You be fair, it does take a bit of finessing to get the setup to work right. I'm sure its easier to setup with both parts being shimano. Though even with the goofy setup there's way less fiddling between rides with the nx shifter and slx derailleur. Heres my two videos on the subject.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You be fair, it does take a bit of finessing to get the setup to work right. I'm sure its easier to setup with both parts being shimano. Though even with the goofy setup there's way less fiddling between rides with the nx shifter and slx derailleur. Heres my two videos on the subject.

It took me like less than 15 minutes to remove the NX shifter, install the XTR, and get it running fine. It was simple and works just fine.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts