Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new ride came with a GX Eagle build. Up to this point, I've been straight Shimano. The GX seems decent enough, but I don't like the shifter at all! The thumb push, push, push, push is annoying and limiting to hand position IMO. Are there any options to get away from this shifter, without switching out more of the groupset?

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Only 2 ways that I can think of. Move to the XO shifter, which has the main shifter lever that can be adjusted or going to grip shift if it's avail for Eagle

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,873 Posts
Yeah. Shift with the thumb and always keep the index finger on the brake lever. You should do this with Shimano shifters too.
Yep, on my one bike with shimano, I can't imagine not using the thumbs for both, despite the increased force required by shimano.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My new ride came with a GX Eagle build. Up to this point, I've been straight Shimano. The GX seems decent enough, but I don't like the shifter at all! The thumb push, push, push, push is annoying and limiting to hand position IMO. Are there any options to get away from this shifter, without switching out more of the groupset?
Unfortunately you'll get used to it. Not to say it will become your preference (maybe it will).

My newest bike is equipped with SRAM, and is my first experience with SRAM shifters. I can shift fine but I miss the Shimano shift option when on this bike. There are times I wish the finger option were available for my riding style. I like to keep my thumbs up over the bars on longer or steep climbs. Can't shift that way when the trail allows an upshift (now is where I get told that I should never have thumbs over the bars I suppose).

As for getting used to it, when I get back on the Shimano equipped bike, I find myself using the thumb shift (usually the few few times until I get my head on straight and remember I have the superior option available).

The SRAM ergonomics for the thumb shift is better than Shimano (for upshift) which is one reason I do not prefer the thumb upshift on Shimano. But I think I use it exactly zero times on the Shimano when it's not my first ride back to it after the SRAM bike.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
It was weird the first time I used SRAM shifters after more than a decade on shimano triggers. But at this point, I agree that the ergonomics of that motion are simply better, even if it requires some adjustment. I use my shimano shifters the same way now. Thumb for shifting. Index finger for braking. I can be ready to operate either control with minimal reaction time required, and even at the same time!

I fail to see how it limits hand position at all. Though I suppose if your shifter is attached to your brake lever, you might feel that way. But that's not because of the shift motion. I run separate clamps so I can adjust either exactly how I want them (I have long-ass thumbs and need the shifter WAY far from the grips). Nice thing is that you can fairly easily swap between combined clamps to separate clamps, especially with SRAM.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Funny, I don't need to cover my brake or shifter constantly, just in case. I move my fingers into comfortable positions, move them back to do their job. I only cover when I believe I might have the need for them, or am actively using them.

Gripshift is a viable option. I use it on my XC bike, as well as a friend of mine (mine is 11, his is Eagle XX1).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Funny, I don't need to cover my brake or shifter constantly, just in case. I move my fingers into comfortable positions, move them back to do their job. I only cover when I believe I might have the need for them, or am actively using them.

Gripshift is a viable option. I use it on my XC bike, as well as a friend of mine (mine is 11, his is Eagle XX1).
I don't think I cover my brake lever very often, unless I'm expecting a 'thing' to happen. However, it seems that every photo I'm in shows a finger on the levers. haha
I'm not in that many, but still.

Even a magazine cover photo on road bikes I have my fingers on the STI brake lever 'just in case'.
Just in case what, the photographer jumps out and scares me. LOL

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
Am I the only who routinely uses their index finger to down shift (from the rear-side of lever) with SRAM? When I'm resting my palms on the bar with thumb over top I think I do this all the time, I "pull" the indexer from behind. let's me take an ergo break and shift while doing it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Am I the only who routinely uses their index finger to down shift (from the rear-side of lever) with SRAM? When I'm resting my palms on the bar with thumb over top I think I do this all the time, I "pull" the indexer from behind. let's me take an ergo break and shift while doing it.
Yes...you're the only one...sound difficult lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,107 Posts
If by "down shift" you mean shift to a harder gear, I do that by using my index finger to flick the small lever pretty often w/SRAM. I use the thumb for an actual down shift...that does sound difficult.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm the same. There are some comments that question why my index finger isn't on the brake all the time. Well, it is, when I'm descending of course.

But during long, sustained, non techy climbs, I don't find it necessary to hold my brake, or have my thumb under-bar for control. I find it more comfortable to switch my hand position to thumb-over-bar and use my index to switch into a harder gear if the grade incline changes. During steeper technical climbs, of course I hold my bars regularly (thumb-under) for the control.

Long story short, I do use my thumb to shift 80% of the time. But the other 20% during long, non techy climbs, I appreciate the option to use my index finger based on hand position. I know this sounds like peanuts, but I'm sure you fellow riders can appreciate we all have these little habits developed over years of riding which become second nature.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
I know exactly what you're taking about, switching your hand position for an ergo break. I do it too, which is where this thread started lol. You would benefit from Shimano shifters.
I'm a former long time Shimano user. Much prefer SRAM since trying X.9 stuff 10 years ago or so. My need to adjust hand position from time time has nothing to do with shifting, SRAM or otherwise.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
If by "down shift" you mean shift to a harder gear, I do that by using my index finger to flick the small lever pretty often w/SRAM. I use the thumb for an actual down shift...that does sound difficult.
Ya, I meant when shifting to a smaller cog/harder gear, lol. Just a quick flick. Even after riding since 2002 or so I still don't know which is downshift vs. upshift.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a former long time Shimano user. Much prefer SRAM since trying X.9 stuff 10 years ago or so. My need to adjust hand position from time time has nothing to do with shifting, SRAM or otherwise.
My need to adjust hand position has nothing to do with shifting either - it's the opposite. My shifting preferences have everything to do with my need to adjust hand position(s). It's for this reason that I've found the two-way levres on Shimano shifters more intuitive than Sram's one-way thumb push. That's all I meant.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I'm leaning towards the idea of riding it for a while, see of you adapt. During that time set some money aside for a new Shimano shifter and derailleur. I assume you can run a Shimano derailleur on an Eagle cassette? Never paid attention.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.