Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Front Range XC
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Yeti ASR-sl. I don't race but like climbing. The XT rapid fire shifters and derailers on my old bike have lasted 8 years with few problems. However, the Yeti comes with Sram X.9 triggers, and Sram X.0 rear derailer. The front derailer is XT. I've never even heard of Sram. The shop told me Sram is making a come back because many riders don't like Shimano's new shifters. If I spec out the bike with all XT the price goes way up. What are your thoughts on Sram in general, the new XT non-rapid fire shifters, and the specs for this Yeti?

http://www.yeticycles.com/Bikes/BikesASR.cfm

Thanks,

Marc

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Excellent drivetrain

Take the nonsense out of the statements from your LBS regarding "SRAM making a comeback" and riders "not liking Shimano's new shifters". Both companies make very good drivetrain components. The fact is, the SRAM X.9 and X.0 components can be compared to Shimano XT and XTR respectively. For the shop to tell you it will cost money to "upgrade" your X.9 and X.0 components to XT is just flat out BS. The new X.0 derailleur alone retails for $200+. Take the Yet as is and ride it. The LBS is yanking your chain, IMO.

Bob

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
And to be honest, I would rather ride Sram anyday. I love the shifting, and the design of the shifters. The dual thumb action is nice. Shimano even went so far as to add levers to thier stuff for 07 to copy Sram... Both are good quality, but I doubt you will dislike the Sram. if you do, pull it and sell it on ebay. you should make enough to go XT.

Matt

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have XTRs on my bikes and the lower Sram Rocket shifters on one. For me the Sram has a more positive engagement feel than the Shimanos. I don't know about the triggers but the Sram twist-shifters can be manually micro-adjusted to center the front derailleur from rubbing the chainrings - a feature most useful while riding.

I wouldn't change them for XTs if I were you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I prefer the new SRAM stuff to anything that Shimano is making. SRAM does feel more precise and the dual thumb levers are way better than the Shimano stuff. X9 is sorta in-between XT and XTR and the XO is on another level all together. Buy it and ride it :thumbsup:

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
amen...

I am a long time sram supporter because I like their design and reliability. I think what was said about about the X-9 being between XT and XTR and the X-0 being in a class of its own is 100% true. Shimano got caught laying down and SRAM went ahead and raised the bar.

The SRAM drive train will treat you well, but as stated above if you don't like it I'm sure you could get somewhere between 150 and 200 for it. And for that you can get a used XTR set up (not that new dual control stuff but solid)...

·
EDR
10,444 Posts
X.9/ X.0 is great BUT...different. Be forwarned that you may not like the dual thumb shifters after riding shimano trigger shifters for so long, I know I didn't feel comfortable for a few rides. But...after that I began to love the SRAM stuff. The engament is more precise 'feeling' and I really like the thumb shifters (now).

I have ridden my X.9 stuff for over 6 months now and a few weeks back I hopped on my xc bike for the first time since I got the new bike. Shifting with my XT shifters/der felt like I had mashed potatoes in the drivetrain! SRAM rocks, I have no reason to even think of going back to Shimano :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.