Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Now i know it's called a barrel adjuster. It did break inside the housing. Is there any way to fix this? If I buy a whole new shifter, is that easy to replace? Any way I can just replace the barrel adjuster even if it is broken inside the housing?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You can probably get the broken piece out with needle-nosed pliers or by disassembling the shifter.

I haven't tried to replace small parts for SRAM. Your local shop may be able to give you something.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shifters are very easy to replace. Is this the front or rear?

Basically, you shift to the outer cog on the rear (for standard action, for rapid rise it would be the opposite), or the inner ring if it's the front.

Then unbolt the cable from the derailleur, run the new cable through the housings, and pull it taught at the derailleur. Most time I've found you won't need to adjust anything unless the cable was really stretched or was out of adjustment to begin with.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Shifters are very easy to replace. Is this the front or rear?

Basically, you shift to the outer cog on the rear (for standard action, for rapid rise it would be the opposite), or the inner ring if it's the front.

Then unbolt the cable from the derailleur, run the new cable through the housings, and pull it taught at the derailleur. Most time I've found you won't need to adjust anything unless the cable was really stretched or was out of adjustment to begin with.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
It's clearly the rear shifter...................... :p :skep:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Is that an X.5? If so, time to upgrade! Get an X7, X9 or X0.

It looks like you had your barrel adjust a ways out when it broke... You should have probably adjusted the barrel adjuster back in and then adjusted the wire at the derailleur. Oh well, done now...

Get yourself a new shifter. It SHOULD come with new cable too. After a while, the cable will stretch. If you're out riding, use the barrel adjusters. If the barrel adjusters are too far out, retract them when you get back home and then adjust the wire at the derailleur.

Hope this helps.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bet it is fixable. Shift into the smallest chainring. Clip just the cable crimp tip off, loosen the clamp bolt at the derailleur, take out the cable. One of the two broken pieces of the barrel adjuster will fall to the floor, keep it. Take one of the tiny (triangular) files from a file set, and use it as screwdriver by inserting the rough point into whats left of the barrel adjuster, and simply unscrewing it counterclockwise. Should back right out. Any good bikeshop will have a boneyard for the replacement. or straighten the broken one, and just have less adjustment out of it. GOod luck.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I bet it is fixable. Shift into the smallest chainring. Clip just the cable crimp tip off, loosen the clamp bolt at the derailleur, take out the cable. One of the two broken pieces of the barrel adjuster will fall to the floor, keep it. Take one of the tiny (triangular) files from a file set, and use it as screwdriver by inserting the rough point into whats left of the barrel adjuster, and simply unscrewing it counterclockwise. Should back right out. Any good bikeshop will have a boneyard for the replacement. or straighten the broken one, and just have less adjustment out of it. GOod luck.
Great advice. Bike shops usually have a bin of parts just to scavenge from. Hopefully they'll have a barrel adjuster for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.