Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a pair of SRAM Rise 40 wheels in the 27.5 size. They came with 15mm front hub which is convertible. The rear hub was a standard 9mm skewer. I was hoping to convert it to 135mm x 12mm thru axle.
I called SRAM and they said that hub is not convertible. Forever the doubter I took the hub apart and learned why. The 9mm threaded axle in the hub is seated in the wrong size sealed bearings so you cannot remove & replace axle. If you had the right size bearings I thought it would work. I was wrong again. The reason is the hub shell is not milled to accept the larger inner diameter bearings needed for a 12mm axle conversion. If you look at the Rise 40 wheelset with the 12 x 142 mm hub it is clearly a completely different hubshell. The only solution is to replace the hub with a 24h (hard to find) hub that has the 12mm convention already. That was my solution. Did anyone else have any solutions besides just buying a different rear wheel altogether? FYI I just finished replacing rear hub to a Reynolds 24h straight pull convertible hub it weighs 294 grams. The SRAM non-convertible 135mm x 10mm hub weighed a whopping 444 grams. Nice way to save 150 grams on my rear wheel. Please if anyone else has any other solutions please share them.....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.