Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else seen these new one-piece steel cassettes yet? I did a search and found nothing on MTBR. They're road cassettes, but I know a lot of WW's would probably be interested in them.

Link for more: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2565/v/1/sp/

If anyone has info on exact weights, please list them here (claim less than 160g). Also, what's the deal with the missing teeth??

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Teeth look kinda shallow and I've seen that reduced teeth on real cassettes and they sucked on those.

·
Registered
93 Posts
those things are insane and awesome.
i got to play around with them at interbike. they had a half a cassette and then one that was full. i'm not sure about the missing teeth but. the teeth and "rings" are all steel, with an aluminum backplate. the design starts are one piece and is hollowed out for 8 gears. they used one piece and then shaved it down to make it super strong, yet really light. it's pretty cool. the whole red group is amazing to look at, has a natural feel in the fingers, and looks oh so... ah heck, a word doesn't describe how hot Red is...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know if I like that design in the way that it only has two points for the load to be transferred to the hub. It seems to me that if you had a Aluminum hub body it would eat right through it.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
correct...

ginsu2k said:
I don't know if I like that design in the way that it only has two points for the load to be transferred to the hub. It seems to me that if you had a Aluminum hub body it would eat right through it.
i just tried to find out how all the load might be distributed on a freehub but if it's really just these 2 points then it's going to damage any aluminium freehub bodies.

anyway- i will get shifters,rear derailleur and maybe such a cassete just out of curiosity for my roadbike.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
nino said:
i just tried to find out how all the load might be distributed on a freehub but if it's really just these 2 points then it's going to damage any aluminium freehub bodies.
Well it appears that SRAM claims (from the RoadCyclingUK article) that by making the contact area between the backing plate and the freehub body double the normal width, that torque damage to the freehub body is prevented.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
BlownCivic said:
Well it appears that SRAM claims (from the RoadCyclingUK article) that by making the contact area between the backing plate and the freehub body double the normal width, that torque damage to the freehub body is prevented.
Yes, basically it's the same thickness as a good single speed cassete cog. I have used SS cogs on an Al hub with no issues due to the extra width of the cog.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
and here I thought Devo had a patent on that shape with the "red" colour scheme... :D

Assuming the steel is at least as hard as the individual steel cogs that should eliminate all sorts of gripes about light cassettes, like bending bigger cogs and rapid wear.

The freehub splines all seem to be ramped on one side, is that a specific 10 speed adaptation? I notice that the Shimano 10 speed Dura-Ace cassettes don't have that?

Attachments

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I hope Sram makes one that is mtb specific, hopefully 34 tooth. We also "need" double tap X.0 mtb shifters to go along with this.

G

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
But only a 9 speed version for MTB, the chain is already narrow enough with a 9 speed and suffers from mediocre shifting with mud submersion (for those of us who live in the soggier corners of the planet)

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
rockyuphill said:
But only a 9 speed version for MTB, the chain is already narrow enough with a 9 speed and suffers from mediocre shifting with mud submersion (for those of us who live in the soggier corners of the planet)
I agree. I'll take it one step further and put my two cents in for an 8 SPEED:eekster: system. My 8 speed drivetrain on my 10 year old Stumjumper STILL shifts better then any 9 speed drivetrain I have been exposed to. I've seriously considered going back to 8 speed at times.

·
Person
775 Posts
Axis II said:
I agree. I'll take it one step further and put my two cents in for an 8 SPEED:eekster: system. My 8 speed drivetrain on my 10 year old Stumjumper STILL shifts better then any 9 speed drivetrain I have been exposed to. I've seriously considered going back to 8 speed at times.
I would kill for a lightweight 8spd 11-28 cassette.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
EuroMack said:
Does anyone know how SRAM is manufacturing the cassette? I would almost spend the money just to see how they build it.
I'd expect that it's a few minutes in a 5 axis CNC milling machine. Goes in as a lump of steel at one end and out as a cassette and pile of steel shavings. Not any more complicated than some of the gears and bits in a car transmission.

·
Registered
934 Posts
rockyuphill said:
I'd expect that it's a few minutes in a 5 axis CNC milling machine. Goes in as a lump of steel at one end and out as a cassette and pile of steel shavings. Not any more complicated than some of the gears and bits in a car transmission.
Accept it's titanium and cncing that much titanium from a block would be very very expensive although I suppose that could be the way it's done. It would prolly take many hours and a full suppy of fresh cutting tools. They probably have a creative method to make it as affordable as possible . . .

1 - 20 of 48 Posts