Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna try a road derailleur on my 2x9 setup. its gonna be a 34.9 clamp I was looking at the Sram Red which has a claimed weight of 58 grams then another 19 grams for the adapter, this would be half the weight of the current XTR setup that is on there. Any recommendations on "the best" front road derailleur to use.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Red is fine, you can lighte with Braze on units and carbon clamps, AKA, BTP Record. You'll need a Speen adaptor, they weigh 9 grams not 19.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
pernfilman said:
I am gonna try a road derailleur on my 2x9 setup. its gonna be a 34.9 clamp I was looking at the Sram Red which has a claimed weight of 58 grams then another 19 grams for the adapter, this would be half the weight of the current XTR setup that is on there. Any recommendations on "the best" front road derailleur to use.
58g? Dream on...

Just remember: an untuned DA with integrated 34,9 clamp weighs 77,5g!

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Tiffster said:
Running Sram Red myself, works a treat. Nice wide cage too so you get no chain rub in any comb :thumbsup:
If I recall correctly you run a 9 speed chain too right?

85 grams with the SRAM 34.9mm clamp according to Competitive Cyclist.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Tiffster,
didn't you fiddle around with Speen adapters and DIY adapters to make it work? I remember a whole thread about that or am i wrong?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yeah i had to make my own top pull adapter to get it going, that only applies if you have a top pull frame i guess. Im running triggers though which was part of the problem - they lack the micro adjust grip-shift has.

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tiffster said:
Yeah i had to make my own top pull adapter to get it going, that only applies if you have a top pull frame i guess. Im running triggers though which was part of the problem - they lack the micro adjust grip-shift has.
I see no specs on Sram's site indicating bottom pull or top pull.

What had to happen to make it a top pull design ?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well ALL road front mechs by design are bottom pull. Some mtb's are bottom some are top pull. Unfortunetly i have a top pull mech so you need to use a speen adapter to make the front mech top pull activated.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts

Attachments

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you run this derailleur with the normal rings without moving them? My XTR is now a 2x9 configuration however Speen said that I would need to move the outer ring to the middle and the middle to the furthest inside to make this compatible. I assumed this would not be a problem running standard rings. Do you have to change any of that everything I have seen online does not indicate that. Here is what Speen said in there email.

"Some costumers have reported functionality on MTB´s but always with double crank sets,
which is nor a problem of the Umlenker than more one of the derailleur. The red derailleur
is a double only derailleur and will stay so no matter what kind of adapteur installed.

Please note that it is not enough to remove the inner chain ring of a triple crank set. You
will have to install the biggest chain ring on the middle position and the second one to
the inner position. There are chainrings available from SpecialitesTA e.g.: 42 - 27"

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes you can, but as Nino pointed out you need a custom made adapter like the one i made for myself to get the cage to pull out far enough.

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tiffster said:
Yes you can, but as Nino pointed out you need a custom made adapter like the one i made for myself to get the cage to pull out far enough.
To clarify you need the speen adapter then need to make something else on top of that to make it work ?

Do you have a picture of how your setup looks ?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
No no.

You need something that has the basic design of a speen adapter. It needs to sit lower down to give a greater cable pull/cage movement ratio. Should be a couple of pics on my blog under bike pics i think.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just to be clear: If I want to run a stock Sram Red 34.9 clamp front derailleur on my MTB with a 22/32/bash configuration using grip shift it should work without adaptors or tricks, right?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts