Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the winter I plan on replacing the rear 11spd. shifter on my CX bike. The bike came with Apex 1 and I've already replaced/upgraded the cassette, chain and chain ring. I was never that happy with the Apex stuff, but it's what came on the bike and it worked fine. However, the shifter is now clearly deteriorating.

I am not that familiar with SRAM 1X road stuff. Will I be able to just replace the rear shifter/brake lever with Rival or Force and keep the existing rear brake system? Will a Rival/Force rear shifter assembly be noticeably different from the front brake lever/hood assembly? Or do I need a new front assembly?

I will probably upgrade the derailleur at the same time. How much better are the Force components that Rival? I am more concerned about durability than weight.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Is your Apex group hydraulic or mechanical brakes? All the SRAM stuff is interchangeable. Force components are identical to Rival other than some carbon fiber used on Force to make it lighter.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
They are hydraulic disc. Does that change anything on compatibility?
Since they are hydraulic, the levers are the same shape (I believe mechanical are different shapes). So you can use a front Apex lever with a rear Rival of Force lever if the mismatched branding doesn't bother you. You can use the Apex caliper with the Rival or Force lever.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, pretty much all interchangeable, as long as you keep the same number of gears. Lever shape is the same across the range (obviously hydro and cable levers are different) so swapping one side is perfectly fine. The adjustability and shifter feel of the higher-spec levers is definitely worth it over Apex.

·
Single Track Mind
1,052 Posts
I have you want for sale, a 11 speed derailleur with force, kindly put your trust in me...lol

In all seriousness, they are interchangeable. When I swapped out my Apex for Force, I left the hydro hose in the frame and just swapped the caliper and the lever. Super easy.

Oh and I really do have a Force 11-speed clutched derailleur for sale. PM me and maybe we can make a deal. As long as you're not from Nigeria.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.