Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there -
I like my SRAM chains, and the SRAM cassette I recently purchased is going well so far.
However - the main thing keeping me from trying out the SRAM shifting stuff is that I like low normal (RapidRise) rear derailleurs. (not interested in debating that opinion, thanks).

I haven't been able to find a low-normal derailleur from SRAM. Do they exist? If not, has SRAM showed any sign of releasing one in the future?

thanks!
-rob in NY

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not for-seeable in the future

While its great that low-normal is your preference, you are in the minority. Shimano and SRAM seem to have two different outlooks on the cycling industry. Shimano tends to introduce new products based on what they think is best for riders. For some like yourself, this works out fine, but often they meet with great opposition (look at dual-control vs rapid-fire). SRAM on the otherhand seems to be very "in-tune" with what the mountain bike world wants. As it is, there are more riders who prefer "high normal" to "low normal" so chances are that SRAM will not produce a "low normal" derailuer. I would invite you to try a SRAM drivetrain system before losing hope though. The shifters and rear derailuer work different than the Shimano set up. SRAM "rapid-fire" shifters use only your thumb and the rear derailuer shifts much crisper, mainly due to a stronger derailuer spring and 1:1 cable pull (vs Shimano's 1:2).

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So - are you implying that a high-normal SRAM derailleur X.0 won't have any problems with grinding during downshifting due to the 1:1 ratio?

If that's the case, I might just take a gamble on it. Hopefully I can find a fellow rider to do a trail test on the X.0 system.

Is there anyone else out there who likes/liked Rapid Rise but switched to X.0?

thanks guys
-r

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes!!!!

rpet said:
So - are you implying that a high-normal SRAM derailleur X.0 won't have any problems with grinding during downshifting due to the 1:1 ratio?

If that's the case, I might just take a gamble on it. Hopefully I can find a fellow rider to do a trail test on the X.0 system.

Is there anyone else out there who likes/liked Rapid Rise but switched to X.0?

thanks guys
-r
Yea, I live in the Pacific NW and ride in the mud and muck. Both my hardtail and Dually have SRAM X-7 systems on for that exact reason (I'm on a tight budget, so no X.O. for me)...they continue to work great in the mud. Had nothing but trouble with Shimano rapid-fire/high-normal setups in foul weather over the years (never had rapid rise or low normal, though I have tried them).

I'm sure you could test ride a new bike with a SRAM system at your local bike shop, though I'm sure they would frown on a mud test ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.