Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my chain wear using a KMC digital stretch meter. Chain was consistently worn @ .050. Checked the section w/ the PowerLink and it was @ .070. During its life I have removed the link @ least 1/2 dozen times. So do they just wear or was my amount of removals the cause for wear? I did read somewhere you should't open the PowerLink.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
I was checking my chain wear using a KMC digital stretch meter. Chain was consistently worn @ .050. Checked the section w/ the PowerLink and it was @ .070. During its life I have removed the link @ least 1/2 dozen times. So do they just wear or was my amount of removals the cause for wear? I did read somewhere you should't open the PowerLink.
Most quick links are single-use. There are some, for some drivetrains, which are reusable. SRAM's stock links are of the single-use variety. Yes, the number of removals wore out your quick link faster.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Most quick links are specified as single use. Most riders will reuse them. I do. Chain wear that increases its length occurs between the pins and inner plate bushings. Some measurement tools also include the less relevant wear that occurs between the rollers and outside of the bushings. Removing and reinstalling a quick link does not affect either. What it might affect is the interface between pin tips and where they slot into the outer plates, mainly the security of how it clicks in and out. I don't think this would affect chain length. I figure a quick link will likely be slightly different in length than the other links because of the way it goes together, and it may wear differently in use due to differing materials and construction.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I remove mine when I clean my chain.

keen, if you didn't measure the chain with a new Powerlink then you don't know if the reason is increased wear or if it was just made that way. It is designed to slide into the link without interference. Perhaps this increased clearance is the source of the 0.070 reading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.