Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that the gold powerlink on a nine speed sram chain becomes weakened after opening the chain? It seems to do that for me after cleaning the chain or something. I think im pretty careful when reconnecting it to snap it into place. Almost ruined a 36 mile ride when 6 miles in my chain broke. I was lucky to find both halves of the powerlink. Any input would be appreciated.

-dM

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I'm inclined to suggest operator error. I've been using Power Links on a number of bikes for a few years and have yet to have one fail on me.

If you found the two links and neither was broken, they were most likely never mated correctly. There is really nothing to "wear" from repeatedly breaking and rejoining the Power Link that would cause it not to fasten or to suddenly break loose. Good old chain tension is what holds it in position.

·
outdoor miner
5,516 Posts
any explanation?

laxguy86 said:
Is it possible that the gold powerlink on a nine speed sram chain becomes weakened after opening the chain? It seems to do that for me after cleaning the chain or something. I think im pretty careful when reconnecting it to snap it into place. Almost ruined a 36 mile ride when 6 miles in my chain broke. I was lucky to find both halves of the powerlink. Any input would be appreciated.

-dM
I don't know, but on one ride I was carrying the bike through some rocks (I know, wimpish) and the link fell apart. I couldn't find the half that had dropped off, and had no spare on me (I do now...) so joined the chain with a breaker and rode on.

I wasn't aware that this happened, does anyone know why?

Lack of chain tension I guess. Maybe the chain brushed the rocks and was somehow pushed into a curve that allowed the link to release???

I wrote it off to being a freak occurrence, but a little unnnerving nonetheless.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
laxguy86 said:
Maybe i dont have enough chain tension?
I suppose maybe, but doubtful. Even a droopy chain "pulls" the links. And once per revolution, when at the top of the chain cycle pulling from the cassette to the chainrings under power, any one link is carrying the whole load being transmitted to the rear wheel. That force right there is greater than any spring tension (or lack thereof).

·
I live to bike
2,428 Posts
A friend's powerlink snapped,

sending his chain flying, leaving him spinning, loosing his balance and tumbling over backwards back down the hill. Wish I had seen it, his description was hilarious! Only time I had heard of that happening, though.

·
outdoor miner
5,516 Posts
the ones that got away

Jwiffle said:
sending his chain flying, leaving him spinning, loosing his balance and tumbling over backwards back down the hill. Wish I had seen it, his description was hilarious! Only time I had heard of that happening, though.
I hate it when I stack massively, and no one sees it. To me, it is part of the fun.

Something similar (but not as bad) happened to me when the link dropped.

Cleared the rocks walking, stuck one foot in the pedal, cranked to ride on, and whooooooooo, over she goes. I thought I'd blown a freehub. A very mysterious monent, inspecting the bike to see what the hell had happened.

Odd behaviour, freakish maybe, but still, I love the links, the ability to pull a chain after a mud bog and throw on a fresh one is priceless.

·
Registered
601 Posts
laxguy86 said:

-dM
Few months ago I had a powerlink spectacularly self destruct on me.

I was testing out my brand new drivetrain on some trails (new shifters, derailleur, cassette, rings and chain), going up this steep hill. I decided to go up a couple of gears so to stand and hammer and as soon as I moved the shifter **CRUNCH**!!!!! What happened was that powerlink got split sideways (got opened by forcing the two links apart laterally) between two cogs under power. It's funny that at that exact moment I shifted under power powerlink was getting ready to round the cassette in that exact position and fail.

Did a McGuyver style trailside repair to my powerlink with a couple of rocks (had to push in one of the pins to get it to close) and was on the way for the rest of the ride and guess what? I still ride that same powerlink today. It's amazing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Boj said:
Did a McGuyver style trailside repair to my powerlink with a couple of rocks (had to push in one of the pins to get it to close) and was on the way for the rest of the ride and guess what? I still ride that same powerlink today.
Why not replace it just to be on the safe side? They only cost $4.99.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts