Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else ever have a SRAM chain pop at the powerlink? my relatively new (1000 km) chain popped open at the powerlink yesterday. i probably have 20000+ km on various SRAM chains, but have never had this happen. :confused:

similar experiences?

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
1st time I've ever heard of it happenin'

chuffer said:
anyone else ever have a SRAM chain pop at the powerlink? my relatively new (1000 km) chain popped open at the powerlink yesterday. i probably have 20000+ km on various SRAM chains, but have never had this happen. :confused:

similar experiences?

Ironically, we were talking about this very thing the other day @ my LBS. No one there could think of any incedent of this happenin'.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
I've never broken one on my road bike or MTB, but I broke no less than 6 of them in 8 months on my trials bike. Every single time, the link broke in half. Luckily, every single time, I was doing some warm up type moves in a parking lot and not attempting a serious gap.

Sram claims, (at least our rep claims) that it's as strong, if not stronger than the rest of the links in the chain. My experience tells me otherwise.

·
almost there!
341 Posts
yes I it has happened to me...

Maybe the situation was unique but I was going through a really bumpy section on the trail and I was changing gears, as well I was getting chain suck. I think what happened was the chain somehow twisted around on itself near the powerlink and caused the powerlink to pop itself open.

Eventually I had to get a new chain, I bought another SRAM chain and I've been using it for a month now with no problems.

I think the lesson from the above incident is to change gears when you are on a smooth section of the trail.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
It's happened to me one and twice with my buddy!

chuffer said:

similar experiences?
Yes, they do come of. I was riding downhill on a rockgarden section at approx. 25MPH my chain fcame off at the power link. Same situation with my buddy and nother time he lost it goind trough braking bumps. No chain suck or shifting involved in any of these situations and the chians were cleaned and lubed accordingly. Since then I always carry a couple pairs of master links.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Me too on a fully cranking a whoop dee do section and the chain had less than 500 miles, pop went the sram link, always carry a spare!

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Wow

Sounds like you guys need to post some reviews, if you haven't, & get SRAM on the ball to fix this. I carry x-tra links & power links as well, just incase I break a chain due to faillure or a derailluer breaks & messes it up. I have to say "learning to spin" & making myself not "mash th' peds", has helped extend the life of my drivetrain, that & the PC99 chain I run now. PC99 has been tough as a pineknot. Please LORD, don't let this post be a jinx to my drivetrain, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....THANK YOU.

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
Similar, I had one side of the link slightly bend. I replaced it once I noticed it, I didn't feel like chancing it. Still have more faith in Sram, I've snapped too many shitmano chains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts