Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets start with. I am not a drivetrain expert. I do have a concern. Be nice ... :p

Picked up a 09 Fisher hi-fi 29'er. Love the big wheels and everything about. Now to the point. After getting the Hayes Stroker brakes from having pad rub I can now notice and hear another issue.

Bike is great and tuned perfectly but.... The Casette (SRAM PG970 11-34T, 9spd) mated with the OEM wheels and Bontrager Hub, does have a wobble. Looking from the rear of the bike foward the casette does wobble from side to side slightly. I do realize that nothing is perfect but a brand new bike and build I have not seen a casette that wobbles.

Something I should be concerned with, or just ride and keep and eye to see if it becomes worse? There is a slight bearing- rotationaly noise when the wheel rotates freely foward, also can be produced when rotating drivetrain backwards with the wheel stopped. Casette..Free-Hub..?

Learn me wobble... :thumbsup:

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Its normal for Shimano and Shimano style (ie Formula, Quando, etc) Freehub bodies to have a slight bit of wobble to them. Its not the cassette but the actual freehub body. If it remains slight, and your bike is working otherwise (shifting ok, no chain skipping, etc) then you should be fine.

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.40AET said:
Did you have the guys at Race Pace look at it? As noted, "some" wobble is allowable.
Did not purchase the bike from them. I feel it is not right to take the bike to them for warranty issue. I will pay them to work on the bike. They know what they are doing! I am not even sure how that works? Is the Fisher warranty honored no matter what Fisher dealer you take the bike too?

The wobble is not my main concern. The noise does not sound "healthy". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and assume you have the Hi Fi Deluxe with the Rhythm Comp wheelset...

If so, I've got two of those wheelsets and the freehub body has come loose on both of them. Remove the axle and you can tighten the freehub body onto the hub with an 11mm allen wrench. If this sounds like too big a job for yourself (or you can't find an 11mm allen wrench) go to your shop and have them do it for you...it's a relatively easy fix.

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nater,

I do have the Deluxe. Wanted the SRAM setup along with different brakes then the Juicy's.

I will try that tonight and see if it fixes it!

As always this place rocks and thanks for the thoughts! I will follow up with outcome...eventhough a minor problem on hand.

Pedal on,
Smitty

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If there's free play and the cassette can be adjusted to take it out do so. Otherwise cassettes aren't built to super precision standards and a bit of wobble (runout) is normal.

It's a matter of degree, but if it doesn't affect shifting, dis-regard it.

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

After checking to make sure the FreeHub was tight to the Hub and having two well known mechanics look it over, I have decided not to worry about it. The Casette does still wobble slightly and the noise is present but agreed the noise is the same on all Bontrager similar hubs and with this bike having the Carbon Seat Stays the noise is amplified through the frame.

I will keep an eye on the wobble to make sure it does not worsen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.