Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the new hollow pin chain about 2 weeks ago.. went for a ride on Sunday, got the chain sucked a bit around the bottom bracket and SNAP!!

Is this just pure bad luck, or have others found the hollow pin to be weaker too? I have used the PC99 (NON hollow pin) and was very happy with it.

Also, what are other people's opinions of the PC99 vs XTR chain? Someone told me that the SRAM chain is WAY better and I have stuck to that.. I am also looking at a second wheel set for training, this will obviously have a second cassette on it, therefore I will need to change the chain each time too... correct? Otherwise they won't wear evenly.

Therefore the SRAM Power Link seems the obvious solution... or does someone else have a better idea?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
ryan123 said:
I installed the new hollow pin chain about 2 weeks ago.. went for a ride on Sunday, got the chain sucked a bit around the bottom bracket and SNAP!!

Is this just pure bad luck, or have others found the hollow pin to be weaker too? I have used the PC99 (NON hollow pin) and was very happy with it.

Also, what are other people's opinions of the PC99 vs XTR chain? Someone told me that the SRAM chain is WAY better and I have stuck to that.. I am also looking at a second wheel set for training, this will obviously have a second cassette on it, therefore I will need to change the chain each time too... correct? Otherwise they won't wear evenly.

Therefore the SRAM Power Link seems the obvious solution... or does someone else have a better idea?

Thanks
Ryan
Nope, I personally haven't had any bad luck with my Sram hollowpin, nor has a friend of mine(and hes huge!).
Might just have been bad luck, as any chain can snap. Only complaint I ahve with the chain is how dirt gets in the pins! LOL!
You can fit a shimano chain with a Sram powerlink but I also personally reccon Sram chains are better. People reccon Shimano shifts better, but I really didn't notice it, if anything I prefer the Sram shifting!
As far as the second cassette goes, If you are keeping the mileage about the same between the two cassettes there is really no need. Swapping chains is stupid as your chainrings wear aswell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hollow pin chain is CRAP!

I recently had bought the hollow pin chain with the PG-990 cassette and it didn't snap like what your's did but it streached way to quick (.75 in 2 months)so i think this hollow pin chain is crap and wouldn't suggest it to anyone,the cassette looks new though,never tried the XTR chain but it's going on as soon as i go through my cheap replacement chain (KMC-9000).Most people go and replace the chain and cassette togather but i do 2 chains for every cassette and have never had any problems.

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Sram PC-99 Hollow pin

I have been using Sram PC-99 hollow pin chains for the last two years with out any problems. One season I used a PC-89R hollow pin chain on my MTB with good success.

I am a 200 pound Epic/Marathon rider, not easy on equipment.

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
Hollow pin not worth the extra cash

ryan123 said:

Thanks
Ryan
Im using a PC 89 road chain and its working great.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Been racing/riding a PC89R(roadie hollowpin) all season and no probs to date. Lots of Pisgah climbing, xc racing, one adventure race, etc. Good chains. If one shifts right and such(just like cassettes) they will last along time. Roadies tend to use bigass gears even more then mtb riders. Its not the chain(or cassette for those who cronically bend them).

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
PC99/98r

cjsbike said:
I have been using Sram PC-99 hollow pin chains for the last two years with out any problems. One season I used a PC-89R hollow pin chain on my MTB with good success.

I am a 200 pound Epic/Marathon rider, not easy on equipment.
I swap between two chains, a PC99 non-hollowpin and a PC89r non-hollow pin. Both have been flawless. I have not had a chain failure since I switched to SRAM.

I'm 195# and spin easy gears more than hammer tall gears.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Calvin Jones-Park Tool said:
Please forgive this question, but it was not mentioned in the first posting. Was the chain installed with the master link from SRAM? Where was the failure, at the master link or some other place?
I did have the gold powerlink installed, the chain broke elsewhere. I have just bought a dura ace 7701 to try for a change.... didnt really want to but thought Id give Shimano a try again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts