Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if folks running 11 speed chains are having breakage issues?

I recently went 1x11 with a new fat bike build, only had about 1/2 dozen rides before the chain blew up.

A number of years ago I tried real had to like SRAM chains with my XO 1x9 setup, but I kept breaking them, went back to Shimano XT chains and have been problem free since.

I clean my drive train after every ride, hope it was just an isolated problem as these are not cheap chains to replace.

Sounds like Shimano is coming out with an 11 speed drive train for 2015, hopefully the chains are compatible.

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/2015-shimano-xtr-di2-1x11-preview-899606.html

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, guessing it was a newer one since I just got my new bike delivered very recently with X01 drive train installed by the manufacturer. Any way to tell if it was an old or new one? Maybe I'll ask my LBS to try an warranty it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
With the XX cassette's price, chain wear is something I personally give extra attention. In such, after three months of usage (approx. 75 hours), I can report that the SRAM XX1-11 spd chain is still within tolerances (stretch) of usage … better durability performance when compared with the KMC SL-10 experience I had on my old drivetrain! Note sure if this is related to the narrower 11 spd chain (less affected by chain line), or simply better (?) SRAM quality product?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.