Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram PC-890 vs PC-870

26K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  danoalb 
#1 ·
What is the difference between these chains? The 870 costs $16, 890 costs $25.
Is there a better, lighter 8spd chain?

#3 · (Edited)
Right, but there has to be SOME difference. They can't possibly be identical chains with different packaging. Is the 890 lighter? Does it have some fancy coating? Different riveting?
The fancy, lightweight Sram and KMC chains are only available in 9spd.

#4 ·
Lelandjt said:
Right, but there has to be SOME difference. They can't possibly be identical chains with different packaging. Is the 890 lighter? Does it have some fancy coating? Different riveting?
The fancy, lightweight Sram and KMC chains are only available in 9spd.
The 890 is prettier. No functional difference.

#7 ·
It should be a matter of the outer coating on the links. The 850 has no slippery coating on the link plates. The 870 has the coating (nickel, I believe) on the outer links only, and the 890 has coating on both the inner and outer links. Also, according to Sram, the 890 has "cross-step riveted pins." Not sure what that means.

The only lighter chains you'll find are hollow-pin and hollow link. It doesn't matter that much, especially on a bike that is 8-speed equipped. I bet you'll think the 850 shifts just fine.

#9 ·
Actually this is an XTR equiped Mojo SL. I prefer 22-32-42, 11-28 8spd over double or triple ring 9spd. I have a stash of aluminum carrier 8spd XT cassettes. I wish they would still make high-end 8spd chains and cassettes. I can't imagine ever needing the 22/32 low gear of triple/9 and double/9 doesn't offer a big enough gear spread for my trails. When Shimano switched to 9spd everyone was against it but over the years it has just become accepted.

#10 ·
I use the 870 chains and can't say enough how much I like them. The 890's are better but in the real world the 870 is a monster.....It will wear out before it will break. The shifting will be the same. The crossstep riveting of the 890 makes for a stronger chain which doesn't matter in this case as the 870 is super strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.