Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRAM LEADS THE WAY TO BETTER BRAKING WITH NEW GUIDE TRAIL BRAKES
"SRAM has new mountain bike brakes, and they’re not from Avid. After years of hit or miss performance from the Elixirs, SRAM is introducing an entirely new braking platform called the Guide. The move from Avid to SRAM is labeled as a chance for a clean slate and change in design philosophy. The result is an all new DOT Fluid hydraulic disc brake that they claim is packed with the best technology and solutions to a powerful, durable, light weight brake. Called Swinglink and TPC Plus™ (not to be confused with Manitou’s TPC +), the new technologies combined with a piggyback reservoir instead of the Taperbore look like a good start for worry free braking."

SRAM Leads the way to Better Braking with new Guide Trail Brakes

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Hopefully it works out, we've been lacking in good DOT brake systems in the fat bike world. I've had great luck with Hopes and Formulas but the more the merrier.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
another year, another SRAM press release claiming they've finally addressed their brake issues. feels like this cycle has happened 5 or 6 times now.

i'll stick to formula brakes but I agree, more DOT competition is better.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,304 Posts
After their road disc fiasco?

Not expecting much but more of the same.

You can stop calling a pig, a pig, but it's no less, a pig.

How about just admitting you have zero concept of how to build a good brake, and leave it to people who do, and focus on what you do know how to do?

This whole "we need to be better than Shimano in everything, even if we aren't" bit is getting tiresome.

And let me guess, along the lines of $425 cassettes, these will feature doctor and lawyer nosebleed pricing structures since they are so much more totally awesomer than before.....

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Hopefully this fixes the issues they've been having.

I'm so happy with my XT's i doubt i'll be running out to buy these, but at least in the future if i buy a complete bike i won't have to worry about getting stuck with Avids.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i honestly dont think any brakes can out perform hope in terms of power, modulation , reliability, durability , easy service/repair, small parts availability and bling factor if you care

im speaking from experience. ive had all avid brakes except new trail ones and XO, hayes storker ace, stroker tail. hayes 9, sole. saint m820. hope Dh 4, enduro 4. mono 4.

current one bike has the hope tech m4. one has hope moto m6. the tech m4s are the best among all in my opinion

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
I'm looking forward to trying the new brakes. My current brakes are Elixir 9 Trails, and they work quite well. I run my levers very close to the grips (Jones Loop Bar), so in order to not run out of lever stroke, I have to resort to some creative bleeding.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hopefully this fixes the issues they've been having.

I'm so happy with my XT's i doubt i'll be running out to buy these, but at least in the future if i buy a complete bike i won't have to worry about getting stuck with Avids.
This. I've not found a fault w/ my XTs yet. Have them on my HT 29er and my fatty.

·
Registered
748 Posts
to me all brand new factory shimano brakes have very spongy lever feel including XT, saint m810 m820 . i never experienced XTR so cant comment on that. they are not even as firm as avid elixirs

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,359 Posts
They needed to do something. I will try them out way after they hit the market.

·
passed out in your garden
2,844 Posts
to me all brand new factory shimano brakes have very spongy lever feel including XT, saint m810 m820 . i never experienced XTR so cant comment on that. they are not even as firm as avid elixirs
My experience has been the exact opposite, my bike has SLX/XT combo, my missus' bike has Avids.
The Avids now feel ok after I fitted sintered pads, but my missus' still likes my brakes better.

Mate in our club had 3 bikes all fitted with Avids, when the lbs ran a closeout on XT sets, he changed all 3 bikes over, now he cant give the old Avids away........

either way, each to their own :D

I will not be trying SRAMs brakes, unless of course they are fitted to a future bike purchase.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,359 Posts
Leading the way...because the lever went to the bar again.

·
Registered
748 Posts
unfortunately, my experience with Shimano has been different. 2 sets of different generation saint brakes. both sets brand new. when you squeeze the lever on them, it would keep moving untill it almost hits the bar/grip, the cheap avid elixirs doesnt even do it. this very unacceptable to me, and they have very unsolid lever feel compare to hope brakes.

if your SlX XT are anything like saint and the XTs i demoed, they are spongy too me. its just personal preference. if you ever try motorcycle/ dirt bike brakes, they are solid feeling unlike most the MTB brake all feel spongy. only hope and formula have that solid lever feel like motorcycle brakes. but formulas are brutal, i had couple model formula brakes , they are too much of on and off switch type of brake very little modulation.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
The hardest thing any company with bad rep can do is to try and get their rep back up. Sram better have one hell of a brake that blows competitor pricing out of the water, otherwise I doubt they will sell many.

If they were smart they would just stop making brakes, but I applaud them for trying to improve.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I will be keeping an eye on these for when I do upgrade but it is pretty hard to beat the quality, reputation and bomb proof design of the Shimano brakes.

Currently have the Elixer 1's on one bike and 5's on the other and I don't hate them other than the turkey warble but they do leave a little to be desired.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts