Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
SRAM NX, RockShox Recon RL, RockShox Monarch R RaceFace Chester Bar & Stem, Shimano MT200 brakes.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Diamondback Atroz 3 and when I first tried it, it felt amazing! And definitely not worth paying a million dollars for AXIS or AXS or whatever. But as the excitement wore off I started noticing that to get to one high gear, depending on what you consider a high gear (in my case the smaller cogs) that you would need to upshift twice then downshift to get to said gear. I know I'm being picky but just sayin'

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go to YouTube and search how to adjust rear derailleur. You shouldn’t need to mess with your limit screws, just the barrel adjuster. It’s pretty easy to do. I’m not very mechanical and I’m able to adjust mine when needed.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Cable may be dirty internally
The cable where it rides along the pulley at the derailleur may need to be cleaned.
Hanger or cage could be tweaked just a bit.

It almost sounds like you need to build up inertia to get it to go to high gear. Meaning, the slight amount of movement may not be enough to flick it to high gear.
If the cable isn't clean, it could therefore be a little sticky internal. The cable on the pulley could be sticky or have a bit of grime build up.

Mine actually has a hard time coming off first sometimes, requiring a few flicks down to 3rd to get it to come off. Spraying some lube on the pulley (where the cable rides) probably flushed out something because it went back to normal after doing that.

Before any of that though, adjustments should be attempted with your barrel adjuster. Also remove the wheel and see if the derailleur will move freely through the travel, notably at the high side.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So I have a Diamondback Atroz 3 and when I first tried it, it felt amazing! And definitely not worth paying a million dollars for AXIS or AXS or whatever. But as the excitement wore off I started noticing that to get to one high gear, depending on what you consider a high gear (in my case the smaller cogs) that you would need to upshift twice then downshift to get to said gear. I know I'm being picky but just sayin'
That's not being picky it's an irritating problem that should easily be fixable.

Most of the time going from larger to smaller cogs (upshift) is down to excess shift cable friction for lots of reasons like grime making it's way inside outers cables over time etc.

Replacing the shift inner and outer cables is cheap and relatively simple so would be a good place to start and will more than likely fix your problem, if not look at other possible causes afterwards.

·
Registered
14,543 Posts

To be clear downshifting is going from a smaller cog to a bigger one and upshifting is the opposite. Sounds like you're having trouble upshifting? If so it's likely you have a little to much cable tension. Try turning the barrel adjuster on the shift lever clockwise 1/2 turn and see what happens, that might be all it needs

It could be lots of other things too but it's best try the simple things first (e.g. cable tension) NX (and all 12-sp) is pretty sensitive to derailleur hanger alignment so if a cable tension adjustment doesn't make it right I usually go there next.

It's not being picky to ask you're derailleur to shift :p Also AXS is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After using my NX for a while, it wouldn't shift to small gears. I actually had to increase cable tension to account for wear-in, which seemed backward. But I guess it needs some tension for the RD springs to pull against when releasing to a smaller gear. Give that a try.

After some fun, eventually the hanger needed straightening too but that was an entirely different problem. :)

·
Registered
14,543 Posts
After using my NX for a while, it wouldn't shift to small gears. I actually had to increase cable tension to account for wear-in, which seemed backward. But I guess it needs some tension for the RD springs to pull against when releasing to a smaller gear. Give that a try.

After some fun, eventually the hanger needed straightening too but that was an entirely different problem. :)

Are you sure you didn't accidentally loosen the tension instead of tightening it? Loosening cable tension will always allow the derailleur to upshift quicker. If you disconnect the cable, which effectively completely loosens the cable, the derailleur will always upshift until it hits the limit screw.

Maybe your cable tension was so loose that it was completely off by one shift, in other words when in the smallest cog the first downshift click did nothing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, I know which way they turn to tighten.
I found that if the cable was too sloppy it wouldn't move precisely. Tensioning the cable put it back in balance.

·
Registered
SRAM NX, RockShox Recon RL, RockShox Monarch R RaceFace Chester Bar & Stem, Shimano MT200 brakes.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Alright thanks for the advice, I'll try that and see if it changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to YouTube and search how to adjust rear derailleur. You shouldn’t need to mess with your limit screws, just the barrel adjuster. It’s pretty easy to do. I’m not very mechanical and I’m able to adjust mine when needed.
Yeah, I know most of the functions of the adjustments for it so I should be fine. Thank's for the help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cable may be dirty internally
The cable where it rides along the pulley at the derailleur may need to be cleaned.
Hanger or cage could be tweaked just a bit.

It almost sounds like you need to build up inertia to get it to go to high gear. Meaning, the slight amount of movement may not be enough to flick it to high gear.
If the cable isn't clean, it could therefore be a little sticky internal. The cable on the pulley could be sticky or have a bit of grime build up.

Mine actually has a hard time coming off first sometimes, requiring a few flicks down to 3rd to get it to come off. Spraying some lube on the pulley (where the cable rides) probably flushed out something because it went back to normal after doing that.

Before any of that though, adjustments should be attempted with your barrel adjuster. Also remove the wheel and see if the derailleur will move freely through the travel, notably at the high side.
The thing is, I got the bike as a gift and it would seem absurd to pay 1,600 dollars for a bike, then already have to do some repair that requires doing that. I'll find some other ways and if I have to come to the conclusion that I gotta do this, I guess I'll have no choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not being picky it's an irritating problem that should easily be fixable.

Most of the time going from larger to smaller cogs (upshift) is down to excess shift cable friction for lots of reasons like grime making it's way inside outers cables over time etc.

Replacing the shift inner and outer cables is cheap and relatively simple so would be a good place to start and will more than likely fix your problem, if not look at other possible causes afterwards.
I don't think it's that cause I've used the bike only since December 26th as I got it for a ridiculous gift. Anyway, this only makes the bike (as of January 19th) not even a month old so I don't think that's it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be clear downshifting is going from a smaller cog to a bigger one and upshifting is the opposite. Sounds like you're having trouble upshifting? If so it's likely you have a little to much cable tension. Try turning the barrel adjuster on the shift lever clockwise 1/2 turn and see what happens, that might be all it needs

It could be lots of other things too but it's best try the simple things first (e.g. cable tension) NX (and all 12-sp) is pretty sensitive to derailleur hanger alignment so if a cable tension adjustment doesn't make it right I usually go there next.

It's not being picky to ask you're derailleur to shift :p Also AXS is pretty sweet.
Yeah, I think it's the tension cause I haven't even crashed the bike yet and when I set it down I set it on the side of the rotors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The thing is, I got the bike as a gift and it would seem absurd to pay 1,600 dollars for a bike, then already have to do some repair that requires doing that. I'll find some other ways and if I have to come to the conclusion that I gotta do this, I guess I'll have no choice.
It's not a repair, it's expected for a new bike. The cable and housing will stretch and realign and will need slight adjustments to work optimally.

·
passed out in your garden
2,750 Posts
cable has stretched, remember its a new bike, adjust the barrel adjuster

·
Registered
14,543 Posts
cable has stretched, remember its a new bike, adjust the barrel adjuster

op says it won't shift into smaller cogs which indicates too much tension. As mentioned though it is possible that the cable is so loose that it's off an entire shift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Op if you haven't already checked it out, I would highly recommend trying to tune your NX using PT's video:

I am still very new to the current MTB scene and my first dual squishy bike came with SRAM NX. I learnt how to tune it proficiently through experience but with the guidance of Parktool's video. I have upgraded my bike since and I am missing the simplicity of the NX. I have spent weeks researching and re-learning how to get my Shimano XT M8100 shifting right. Still in the process of improving and learning.

I hope you get the tuning sorted out (y)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Check if cable and housing are clean and run straight. Replace both if needed.

Download NX Manual and adjust exactly as described inc. chainlength.

Vetify Rd hanger is straight WITH ALIGNMENT TOOL.

Lastly, does the shifter actually shift and click? Reason I'm asking I had an 11 speed NX and after a while it would not shifts properly due to shifter not actually acting. I believe when shifting up. NX is kind of the bottom of the barrel besides SX.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts