Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm in the process of upgrading my 1x10 to 1x12 Shimano Deore drivetrain.
I have an older type HG freehub so cant fit any of the 12 speed Shimano cassettes.

Cassette options that I'm currently considering to run with the Deore 12 speed derailleur, shifter & crankset are:
_ SRAM NX 11-50 with SRAM NX or GX chain
_ Sunrace CSMZ903 11-51 with Shimano 12 speed chain

Notwithstanding the increased ratio offered by the Sunrace cassette (which isn't important to me), is there an obvious choice of which cassette/chain combo to run, or will either option provide similar shifting performance and be adewuate?

Thanks,
Morkus

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would go Shimano Deore M5100 1x11 that offers 11x51T and supports the HG+ tech of the 12s Deore line, while being still HG hub compatible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go Shimano Deore M5100 1x11 that offers 11x51T and supports the HG+ tech of the 12s Deore line, while being still HG hub compatible.
Very good point you make. However I've already got the 12 speed Deore components so I'm committed to going the 12 speed route.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Doubt any cassette or chain combo is going to perform noticeably better than another. With these parts being consumables suppose the obvious choice would be the cheapest option.

A Shimano 12 speed chain being HG+ design may be better suited with the Deore chainring but maybe not so work as well on the Sram or Sunrace cassette?

Sunrace cassettes are good quality in my experience and well priced compared to Sram or Shimano. Can't say I notice any difference in shift performance, compatibility or durability between chain brands whatever they cost.

Currently running 11 speed Sunrace cassette with a cheap Sram chain combo and it's working perfectly well together.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi all, I'm in the process of upgrading my 1x10 to 1x12 Shimano Deore drivetrain.
I have an older type HG freehub so cant fit any of the 12 speed Shimano cassettes.

Cassette options that I'm currently considering to run with the Deore 12 speed derailleur, shifter & crankset are:
_ SRAM NX 11-50 with SRAM NX or GX chain
_ Sunrace CSMZ903 11-51 with Shimano 12 speed chain

Notwithstanding the increased ratio offered by the Sunrace cassette (which isn't important to me), is there an obvious choice of which cassette/chain combo to run, or will either option provide similar shifting performance and be adewuate?

Thanks,
Morkus
I would ( and have ) go with a Sunrace cassette.
It's cheaper and lighter than the NX cassette and the 11-51 is made for Shimano ( but not for HG+ chains )

I run a 11-51 with a GX Eagle chain and Deore 12 speed mech and shifter.
Pretty pleased how good it works, but the adjustment of the B-Line on the derailleur is a bit different on Sunrace cassettes than Shimano ones.

Also I would stay away frome Shimano's 11 speed 11-51 cassettes.
Too many reports of bad tolerances and broken rivets. Not just in this forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also I would stay away frome Shimano's 11 speed 11-51 cassettes.
Too many reports of bad tolerances and broken rivets. Not just in this forum.
Really?
Completely unaware. Would love to see more / will look into it.

I had two bikes with the M5100 11x51T cassette/drivetrain (one OEM, the other upgraded to from a M6000 drivetrain), and zero issues so far.

Granted, I am a weekend warrior and I don't even do 100 miles a month, but so far shifts have been crisp and the cassette looks like new. Shifts are crisp, even under full load.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would ( and have ) go with a Sunrace cassette.
It's cheaper and lighter than the NX cassette and the 11-51 is made for Shimano ( but not for HG+ chains )
I wasn’t aware that Shimano 12 speed chains don’t work with Shimano compatible Sunrace cassettes. No information on compatibility is available on the Sunrace website that I can see.

I’m also having trouble finding an MZ903 in Australia. They’d just don’t seem to be available here. It looks like SRAM NX will be the easier option for availability, chain certainty and B screw adjustment.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I wasn’t aware that Shimano 12 speed chains don’t work with Shimano compatible Sunrace cassettes. No information on compatibility is available on the Sunrace website that I can see.

I’m also having trouble finding an MZ903 in Australia. They’d just don’t seem to be available here. It looks like SRAM NX will be the easier option for availability, chain certainty and B screw adjustment.
No, what I mean is that Sunrace cassettes don't have HG+ ramps.
You can use a Shimano HG+ chain, but it won't give you any advantages over a regular 12 speed chain.

From what I have found out so far, Sunrace 11-51 cassettes have the same max teeth count and the cogs have the same space in between them like Shimano's microspline cassettes.
That's why they are made to work for Shimano's 12 speed drivetrains.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Really?
Completely unaware. Would love to see more / will look into it.
Check out the 5100 threat here in the sub forum.
The same experiences are reported on other forums like the german one.

I first were also thinking about getting the 11 speed. But those reports drove me away from it.
My bike need to be in good shape everyday since I ride to work. And I just don't want to deal with issues like that.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
For the sake of not having shifting issues I'd use the Sunrac cassette.

Why? The cassette spacing is different in SRAM 12 to Shimano 12. The Sunrace cassette you identified uses the Shimano spacing. Read about it in this thread.

I use a Sunrace 903 with Shimano 12. It works well :)

Other advice: follow Shimano's instructions to the letter. Note that the chain lenght method is different. Also 12sp is very senstive to hanger alighnment...I'd buy one if you don't already have one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts