Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a following problem with Sram NX cassete, it creaks on three or four largest cogs when pedalling uphill.
I can also hear the creak if I move the cog by the hand. I already find a solution and put some thick oil in between attached parts.

But the sound quickly came back... Is there any better solution? Thicker grease should help but it's hard to put in place.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
This sounds like it could be a worn narrow-wide chainring. How many miles do you have on it? If it's an aluminum chainring, they can get worn out after as little as 500 miles. When that happens, the chain makes a noise because the worn part of the chain ring hooks it and causes it to stick slightly before disengaging from the chainring. Good news is you can get a steel one for about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, sound is coming from the pins holding 42 and 50T cogs.
Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire

With "heavy" googling, I found similar topics below:

Comment from Pinkbike:
I've been plagued with the dreaded creaking issues with my rear cassette. I believe it's the pins holding the 42t to the machined cassette body. I followed the procedure above to no avail, until I repeated the process while adding a liberal amount of penetrating lubricant to the pins...I literally soaked them, and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. I then cleaned up the cassette, greased the interface points as mentioned above, and torqued to spec (40Nm). I'm now blessed with a quiet drive train that doesn't sound like a $500 Walmart bike assembled by a group of drunk Leprechauns!

I will probably need to use thicker lube for the pins and try to tighten up cassette a bit more.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,804 Posts
If the pins are loose, no amount of lube is going to correct the problem.

Now if you could access both sides of the pin and a hydraulic press...
Think green loctite might help? I've only tried it (unsuccessfully) on creaky saddle rails in the past, but that failed b/c the part that was giving me issues was a bit of flexible plastic rubbing against them. Surely there's other stuff out there that'll penetrate the gap and then harden/bond well enough, but it's not something I'm familiar with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.