Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I just had a few minutes between calls. Used a different cassette tool (🤷🏻‍♂️) and push aside the torque wrench. Hand tightened then snugged it in small increments spinning the cassette each time. Got it to where there is a very tiny bit of play on the hub but not really within the gears. When I spin the cassette the gears definitely still look slightly out of true for lack of a better descriptor. I have an email out to WWC where I bought it from. Trying to contact SRAM but they don’t answer

Edit: I just got a SRAM tech on the phone and they offered to replace it but there is non inventory in the US. They also thought I was a vendor. When I told them I wasn’t they said to work through the vendor.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Did you put the old cassette back on to see if it was binding too??

Also, when reinstalling the Sram HG 12 cassette, look at each section and how it's riding on the hub body individually. Like, take the lowest gear section and put it on, press it on with your hands and look to see what's happening on the backside. stack each next section and keep looking. Look to see if once section is not sitting squarely on the hub body, thus giving it a wobbling appearance as the hub body spins. If it isn't, investigate as to why. Does your cassette have a carrier that the cogs attach to, or is full stamped steel for each cog all the way to the hub body interface with spacers sandwiched in between? If the latter is the case, are they lined up evenly (in the opening) or are they slightly offset (like a slightly pushed deck of cards) as that would cause a wobbling appearance.

I'm just throwing out guesses here. You need to put your old cassette on and see if it is binding too. The lockring tool you use makes no difference at all.

You shouldn't run any play in your cassette from it not being snugged. It's going to effect the accuracy of your indexing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The old cassette worked perfectly. As to the new one, only the last 3 gears are fixed together. The CS person at SRAM seemed to want to replace it so quickly I got the feeling QC may be an issue right now. She seem surprised at the binding part but not the trueness of the gears.
The tool I had used before was the type with the pin and isn’t hollow. Thought possibly that the inside of the tool was grabbing the nut on the axel and tightening it, but I don’t think that could do anything as the axel would just turn.
I’ll play with it again tonight and report.
EDIT- spoke to WWC and they are perplexed too. They seem to think the cassette is out of spec but have nothing right now to replace it with

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Does the old cassette still work perfectly? I know you said it did before, but it isn't clear that you've tried putting it back on during this trial and error

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
w
Does the old cassette still work perfectly? I know you said it did before, but it isn't clear that you've tried putting it back on during this trial and error
Put the old one back on. Sits flush and works perfect torqued to 40nm
Putting the new cassette back on gear by gear it’s apparent there is rotational play on the gears. How much play is ok? Any? The old one has almost no play.
Edit- I put the whole thing back together for the third time making sure each washer was flat (even though they really can’t not be) and wiggling each gear before the next. It seems to have made a difference but not sure why

·
Registered
451 Posts
OP, I just had to order an NX Eagle cassette yesterday since the Sunrace MZ90 I got for my AXS upgrade was hitting my spokes. Got it from Universal Cycles, FYI. Might still have some in stock.

Reactions: Oldstate

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
OP, I just had to order an NX Eagle cassette yesterday since the Sunrace MZ90 I got for my AXS upgrade was hitting my spokes. Got it from Universal Cycles, FYI. Might still have some in stock.
I took it apart yet again inspected and put back. It now is spinning freely. I have no clue what was causing it as it’s virtually impossible to assemble incorrectly...the gears only fit on the hub one way.

That being said I’m interested in this issue you have with the Sunrace as that is what I originally wanted but couldn’t find. I’m ordering another wheel set for street tires and planned on using a Sunrace on that. Do you have a boost rear wheel?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I took it apart yet again inspected and put back. It now is spinning freely. I have no clue what was causing it as it’s virtually impossible to assemble incorrectly...the gears only fit on the hub one way.

That being said I’m interested in this issue you have with the Sunrace as that is what I originally wanted but couldn’t find. I’m ordering another wheel set for street tires and planned on using a Sunrace on that. Do you have a boost rear wheel?
Wobble gone too?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wobble gone too?
Yes! I wish I could say what I did different but I don’t know. I had thought I possibly had the cap cross threaded but that isn’t the case. I then thought maybe the last gear wasn’t on right but I don’t think I could thread the end cap on like that.
Maybe a high spot somewhere on a spacer or gear that flattened out? I’m at a loss but I’m not going to take it off again. In any event it seems to be working and I appreciate all the help. I’ll post if it loosens up

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,646 Posts
Maybe one of the plastic spacers got slightly cocked?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah, it’s a weird issue for sure. I emailed the company I got it from and they said it’s weird as well. Waiting on an RMA at the moment. I’m running i9 Hydra boost hubs.

This is the one I ordered...https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csmz90

The weird thing is the cassette I received is black and silver not black and red like their site depicts. Double checked the box and it’s labeled correctly. No idea.

Just received the NX cassette, went on like a glove with no issues hitting the spokes.

Reactions: Oldstate

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Maybe one of the plastic spacers got slightly cocked?
that can easily happen, some of them have little nubs that need to be lined up right.
This is what I was thinking but I don’t know how I messed that up twice (taking it off and putting it back on the first two times). Another thought was that there was a bit of plastic on one of the spacers from the molding process that initially caused the issue but then broke off at some point in the process.
I did find one other thread on another forum with a similar problem and that was the result of an out of spec cassette...so that’s where my mind went.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts