Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question cause I see it everywhere but still haven't found out completely. But can you use a SRAM cassette and chain with a shimano crankset. I know you cannot use a shimano chain with a SRAM cassette. but if you only change the cranks is it possible.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
that's nonsense.

you can mix all of the components except for SRAM 1:1 rear derailleurs, they don't work with shimano 1:2 shifters.

if that were the case, bikes would self-destruct if you threw a raceface, truvativ, or surly on there.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Brakebreaker101 said:
But can you use a SRAM cassette and chain with a shimano crankset.
Yes, you can.

Brakebreaker101 said:
I know you cannot use a shimano chain with a SRAM cassette.
That's not true. You can use a shimano chain with a SRAM cassette.
In fact, my Trek bicycle came like that when I bought it.

The only incompatible things between shimano and SRAM are the rear derailleurs and shifters (you can't mix them).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Brakebreaker101 said:
Probably a stupid question cause I see it everywhere but still haven't found out completely. But can you use a SRAM cassette and chain with a shimano crankset. I know you cannot use a shimano chain with a SRAM cassette. but if you only change the cranks is it possible.
Where in heck did you get that info? Talk about getting getting everything wrong....

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Do what works for you!

What works for me is I never mix never, Ive had my fair share of drive train issues!

I do most of if not all my own drive train work now, no Shimano transmission at all, not for years now!, all Sram./RF cranks or any other brand I fancy, E13 rings whatever KMC chains on SS I have no issues!

Ive broken one low end Sram chain an LBS sold me cause that's all they had in stock at the time, but I get great wear out of my transmission! that's me many reasons for it, maintenance, setup, etc!

I run 990 cassette's 991 non hp chains X9 med cage on AM XO med cage on trail bike X0 shifters!
Xgen on AM / /X9 on Trail bike! Sometime in future when I ride again Hammerschidt would be nice to try on the AM, its compatible with the AM..

I have eliminated all my previous issues with the drive train I ran 12months of the year wet winter season is my fav wetter muddier the better, rarely had an issue, think I got a stick in the CG once!

If I was running Shimano I would run al Shimano DT again that would be my choice! I don;t take any hand offs from LBS re drive trains anymore!

It did not work for me period!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.