Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you happen to have a Shimano Ispec II or ispec EV shifter and you need to mount it directly to the handlebar without using a Shimano brake you can do so with a Sram Matchmaker bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah, I got that. It looks like it mounts essentially the same way as it would on an actual I-Spec EV brake lever. The lever geometry is a little different between the Shimano and Sram brakes, though. I'm curious if it's possible to get the shifter in a good position for comfortable shifting when you're running a Sram brake lever on the same clamp.

Edit: I'm now realizing you were probably responding to the other two people above me. My mistake.

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Yeah, I got that. It looks like it mounts essentially the same way as it would on an actual I-Spec EV brake lever. The lever geometry is a little different between the Shimano and Sram brakes, though. I'm curious if it's possible to get the shifter in a good position for comfortable shifting when you're running a Sram brake lever on the same clamp.

Edit: I'm now realizing you were probably responding to the other two people above me. My mistake.
Lol no worries.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
How are the ergonomics if you flip it around and run it like that with a Matchmaker brake lever?
I decided I would be the guinea pig this time, and the answer is it doesn't work at all.

The XT M8100 I-Spec EV shifter I ordered wouldn't even fit on my Matchmaker clamp. OP must have a different shifter or slightly different version of the Matchmaker clamp, or maybe he just got lucky with the tolerances.

But even if it did fit, I can tell that the ergonomics would be terrible. It's impossible to rotate the shifter close enough to the brake lever to get the shift levers into a good position. The Matchmaker clamp bolt interferes with the top of the I-Spec EV mounting channel on the shifter. You would have to run your brake levers completely level to the ground like Yoann Barelli to get the shift levers into an even somewhat reasonable position. It might be possible to make it work adequately with some heavy modification to the Matchmaker clamp and bolt but probably isn't worth the effort and would likely compromise the structural integrity of the clamp.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I decided I would be the guinea pig this time, and the answer is it doesn't work at all.

The XT M8100 I-Spec EV shifter I ordered wouldn't even fit on my Matchmaker clamp. OP must have a different shifter or slightly different version of the Matchmaker clamp, or maybe he just got lucky with the tolerances.

But even if it did fit, I can tell that the ergonomics would be terrible. It's impossible to rotate the shifter close enough to the brake lever to get the shift levers into a good position. The Matchmaker clamp bolt interferes with the top of the I-Spec EV mounting channel on the shifter. You would have to run your brake levers completely level to the ground like Yoann Barelli to get the shift levers into an even somewhat reasonable position. It might be possible to make it work adequately with some heavy modification to the Matchmaker clamp and bolt but probably isn't worth the effort and would likely compromise the structural integrity of the clamp.
I'd like to second this. It physically fits, it doesn't work though. Ended up buying a new shifter with a bar clamp to go with my Codes

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Guide brake levers and a right hand XT M8100 shifter with the band-on clamp.
I cannot get the shifter in the right place.
With the shifter on the right hand side of the brake lever clamp, the shift paddles are about 10cm too far towards the grip. I frequently crack my thumb on the end of the upshift paddle.
With the shifter on the left of the brake, the paddles are miles away from my thumb.

My friend has the previous gen 11 speed XTR M9000, and he does not have the problem. The position of the paddles in relation to the bar clamp is 10mm further inboard on the old shifters. It's the perfect position.

I found a Reddit thread which says the Problem Solvers Mismatch 2.2 adapter works with the Sram levers because the adjustment slot on the top of the ispec 2 XT and XTR shifters (but not SLX) is the same shape and orientation as the slot on the 12 speed XT and XTR shifters.

My question is, can anyone confirm from experience that this works?

It's a lot of money to spend on a new shifter plus the adapter on a maybe.

The other option is to go for a Sram shifter, but the GX one looks **** and the X01 is more expensive than an XT M8100/Mismatch combo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts