Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike came equipped with Sram Level T’s. They aren’t great but also aren’t the worst brakes I’ve ever used. My rear brake lever has way more squish than the front. Shop says it’s because the hose is longer running to the rear. I’m almost all the way in to stop the bike though. I think maybe a bleed is necessary. Anyone else notice anything like this with theirs? Only have about 20 rides on the bike so far.

· Registered
187 Posts
My bike came equipped with Sram Level T’s. They aren’t great but also aren’t the worst brakes I’ve ever used. My rear brake lever has way more squish than the front. Shop says it’s because the hose is longer running to the rear. I’m almost all the way in to stop the bike though. I think maybe a bleed is necessary. Anyone else notice anything like this with theirs? Only have about 20 rides on the bike so far.
Take off the rear wheel and pump the brakes in a little a few times to close the gap between the pads. That improves the bite point for a while. Bleeding the brakes won't hurt.

· Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take off the rear wheel and pump the brakes in a little a few times to close the gap between the pads. That improves the bite point for a while. Bleeding the brakes won't hurt.
So this worked a little too well. Now the brakes bit too hard. How would I go about decreasing it a little. Slightest touch now engages my rear brakes. The wheel wont spin freely now though. I tried spreading the pads apart but it dosent seem to be helping.

· Registered
108 Posts
So this worked a little too well. Now the brakes bit too hard. How would I go about decreasing it a little. Slightest touch now engages my rear brakes. The wheel wont spin freely now though. I tried spreading the pads apart but it dosent seem to be helping.
You shouldn't press the brake lever with the wheel off!
At least in theory.
It's easy to fix, just take your pads out and push the pistons back with something like a 5 mil hex wrench.
That should reset them.
After that, you'll want to put everything back on and give the brake lever a few good squeezes, disc brakes have self adjusting properties, so that should fix it.

· Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Rear wheel is still a little bit draggy but the brakes bite better and the lever is no longer all the way in to engage them. Hoping after a ride it all evens out nicely.

· Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure what other brakes you've owned but the Level T's ARE (were) the worst brakes I ever owned. I'd rather use old school V brakes. I couldn't get them off my bike fast enough.
They definitely aren't the best brakes I've ever used but for now they are doing their job. Next year I'm buying a full suspension. These should be ok until that point. Then maybe I'll look into uograding them. This Chameleon they are on will end up just being a back up bike anyways.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I'm not sure what other brakes you've owned but the Level T's ARE (were) the worst brakes I ever owned. I'd rather use old school V brakes. I couldn't get them off my bike fast enough.
I think you forget how bad V brakes are. The Levels are not wonderful, but are perfectly serviceable brakes.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
so you mounted v brakes then?
got any pictures?
do you miss the feel of hydraulics?
do they feel gritty on hard pulls?
how are they holding up on long descents?
what about mud and water, any decrease in power?
whats pad wear like?
do they cost much to replace?
are they readily available?
any brand better than another for pads?

· Registered
4,445 Posts
so you mounted v brakes then?
got any pictures?
do you miss the feel of hydraulics?
do they feel gritty on hard pulls?
how are they holding up on long descents?
what about mud and water, any decrease in power?
whats pad wear like?
do they cost much to replace?
are they readily available?
any brand better than another for pads?
I think you mis-read my post but a clever reply nonetheless. I dumped those Level T's in less than 3 weeks and went on to Shimano XT 4 pots of course. Carry on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.