Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SRAM is up to something

15K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  wazzer987 
#1 ·
From bikemag:
http://bikemag.com/features/onlineexclusive/sram_hammer_tease/
SRAM has just released a new website teasing a "revolution in transmission technology" called the Truvativ Hammer Schmidt. We have some guesses as to what sort of a transmission system this is, but shall remain tight lipped for a little bit longer. Here's a hint though, you can probably forget about the front derailleur...

If you can speculate what the engineering gurus at SRAM have dreamt up for the future of MTB transmission technology leave a comment below and let us know what you think...

http://magicmechanics.com/

:eek:

#6 · (Edited)
Let's just hope it doesn't weight more than a standard crank+front derailleur which I doubt. Like Rholoff rear hubs, it wont be a race option so not doing a X.0 front derailleur because of that would be a weird decision. My crankset, BB and front derailleur weighs about 700gr total so I don't see myself using this anytime soon... This is just speculation from my part so SRAM, feel free to prove me wrong.

#7 ·
of course its going to weigh more then a standard crank and front mech, but who cares. I'm pretty sure that this is geared with the AM/FR guys in mind, who races XC anymore anyway. I'd gladly have an extra 150g for a front mech that shifts awesome (all front mechs suck btw) and dont forget that this setup would also allow you to run a shorter chain which would help you cut some grams.. An internally geared setup like this would shift instantly. DG what crank BB are you running. I honestly have a hard time believing that your crank bb and mech weigh in at 700g. I believe the CDale hollow grams weight about 660g so you must have a 40g front mech. My guess is that your crank and mech setup is really more in the 800g range. No matter, being able to design bike without worrying about front mech placement will help make frames stronger and lighter. These things are going to rock!

#9 ·
swash said:
DG what crank BB are you running. I honestly have a hard time believing that your crank bb and mech weigh in at 700g.
Hollowgram SL (605-615gr) with a Dura-Ace front derailleur (around 80gr). I know it's an extreme combo as far as weight is concerned and I'm also aware XC racers are not the market SRAM will be going for with that but companies have claimed years ago that their internal geared rear hubs would replace the rear derailleurs and look where we are now, 99.99% of us still use derailleurs and cassettes instead of the internal gearings. I'm also not complaining about this new option, innovation is important and it's actually very good that companies are trying new things...

Even though I wont be using it anytime soon, this is still good news to me too. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Some info:

* The gearbox will be a two geared system, available in either a 12 or 14 tooth differential.
* There will be two versions -- one using the Stylo crank platform, the other using the Hussefelt.
* It will require that the frame have ISCG tabs for mounting.
* It will utilize an ISIS bottom bracket.

#12 ·
Tiffster said:
Some info:

* The gearbox will be a two geared system, available in either a 12 or 14 tooth differential.
* There will be two versions -- one using the Stylo crank platform, the other using the Hussefelt.
interesting... thanks for the update, Tiffster!

#16 ·
Tiffster said:
Some info:

ok, i guess ill be getting one for my enduro, which is my only of 7 bikes that even has a ft derailer.

#17 ·
Tiffster said:
Some info:

will the gearing be customizable? in other words if i were to go with the 12 tooth difference can i pick what those two gears equivalents are? ie-22/34; 24/36?

is that ISCG OLD or ISCG '05 or both?

#18 ·
[QUOTE='size]will the gearing be customizable? in other words if i were to go with the 12 tooth difference can i pick what those two gears equivalents are? ie-22/34; 24/36?[/quote]

i don't know if the difference will be up or down. i'm guessing down and therefore if you want 22/34 rings, you'd run a 34 tooth ring with the 12 tooth differential. if you want 22/36 you'd run a 36 ring with the 14 tooth differential, for 24/36 it'd 36 ring 12 tooth differential.

#22 ·
Right now I’ve got what it does, I’m several miles away from my bikes so any idea if it would fit any of them:

Trance 1/X2
02 Slayer
07 Stumpy- just for interest

The reason I ask is that I’ll be asking my LBS to order a Hammer Schmidt as soon as they can if I can fit one somehow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.