Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with all the chains? 99, 99 hollowpin, 991, 991 cross step, 991 hollow pin?? Are the 991 series supposed to be nicer than the 99 series? And what's the cross step?

I've been using the 99 hollowpins w/ good luck so far in terms of not breaking. Bad luck so far in terms of wear. I get well under 500 miles / chain, on my 150 lb body. I don't think a guy my size should wear them that quickly. Anyone else have fast wearing PC-99 hollowpin chains??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a normal PC-99 chain. I ride xc with a XT cassette and blackspire chainrings, weighing about 70 kilos(dunno in lb.). I'm over 500 miles of riding with the chain and still going strong :)
I dunno why you get so low "mileage".

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
70 kg is about 154 lbs (2.2 lbs to 1 kg). Have you checked your chain for any chain stretch? I check my chain frequently, so I replace the chain when it stretches. That way I'll get more out of my front chainrings and cassette (or so they claim). Maybe it's just bad luck. I'll stick w/ what I've got for a bit, and then try some of the newer 991 stuff and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
notenoughtime said:
70 kg is about 154 lbs (2.2 lbs to 1 kg). Have you checked your chain for any chain stretch? I check my chain frequently, so I replace the chain when it stretches. That way I'll get more out of my front chainrings and cassette (or so they claim). Maybe it's just bad luck. I'll stick w/ what I've got for a bit, and then try some of the newer 991 stuff and see how that goes.
Are you cross chaining(big ring in front and big ring in back)? This typically leads to quicker wear, also some suspension bikes wear out chains faster. Is your chain length correct? I used to own a Giant VT and would wear chains out in about the same time as you, I think mainly it's due to how the suspension was tugging constantly on the chain under load. Ride On- E2

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cross chain one time every time I setup a new chain. That's in the stand when I make the final break and check that the big-big combo will work. Besides that, I don't cross chain. I mostly ride in the middle, that's about it.

I never thought about the suspension being a factor. I have a Racer-X, which supposedly has minimal chainlength growth/shrinkage, and no brake jack and all that junk that they talk about. Maybe it's my riding style and it could be the suspension tugging back and forth on the chain causing a little extra wear. Oh well. What can I do? Change the bike?? I think not. I'll keep on changing my chains.

·
Registered
23 Posts
991 hollowpin

I bought the 991 hollowpin chain in February of this year. I have had it break on me 4 times (twice in one ride). I have a hardtail and weigh 160 pounds. I am not very impressed with it so far. But the good folks at performancebike are sending me a new one.

·
fear this
349 Posts
I just picked up a PC-991 chain, but am waiting to put it on because my stocker is still ok. I was also wondering what the big deal was about this chain. I'd really like to save some weight, but this thread isn't showing a lot of great things about the hollow pin variant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.